Laptop purchase but software ?

Giggle n' Bits 00:07 28 Nov 06

wanting a reasonable nippy but not for power hungry tasks, and I see from looking around laptops in mags and places that productivity software on them like Works Suite which I wanted mainly isn't supplied only see the odd laptop available with MS Works only.

Is this a common thing or am I looking in the wrong place ? Trying to find a decent laptop for around £500 if having to buy Works Suite software extra I could live with it. also 512MB - 1Gb memory, could it be done ?

terryf 01:23 28 Nov 06

Instead of Msoft look at Open Office, it is free and will do practically anything that Office 2003 will do click here

Taff™ 06:50 28 Nov 06

You get very little bundled with a laptop at that price. Whenever I set one up I install OpenOffice and configure it to recognise MS Document formats (.doc .xls etc) and also go into the Options to set the default saves to the same. Wouldn`t even consider Works as a purchase.

Other "standard" free installations are:

Adobe Reader 7.0.8 click here (You may not have this latest version)and Flash Player (formerly Macromedia)from same site.

Basic Photo manipulation Picasa click here

Windows Defender click here

Ccleaner to periodically clear out unnescessary files click here

Avast! Antivirus click here

PrimoPDF Creator - although OpenOffice has one built in it come in useful for other programmes click here

Zone Alarm firewall free version click here

First task though is to check for all the necessary Windows Updates! I`m sure some more suggestions will follow......

keith-236785 12:04 28 Nov 06

DELL laptops come with Microsoft WORKS cd for you to install if you want. i dont know about other manufacturers but DELL does ship works with the cheapest of laptops (mine was £329 in march) [inspiron 1300]

anskyber 12:20 28 Nov 06

Picking up on paperman27's comments the current offer includes Works and a 1gig of RAM. You need to go for the basic cover (with 1 year warranty + 90 day service cover which is different to warranty) to get the price quoted. click here

wee eddie 15:46 28 Nov 06

They now have a limited range of hardware and software. I know that it's unlikely to be cutting edge but as a major Store Group and new into the market. I assume that they have sorted out the value thing and Ability, their Office Applications Suite, is as good as it gets for the basics and with an adequate Word processor, Spreadsheet and Database.

Giggle n' Bits 23:21 28 Nov 06

oh please.
I should talk Asus, Acer or HP really.
Its mainly the Productivity software that is not well covered with a laptop unless you go Packard Bell route. Think Asus or Acer have what I require and spend the extra to get works suite or maybe the office pro.

woodchip 23:54 28 Nov 06

Check out Lidl, They have a Laptop on Offer Thursday. A Targa with 3 year warranty. Turion CPU

woodchip 23:55 28 Nov 06

click here For Laptop

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…