laptop purchase advice??

raggy 2 10:44 19 May 08

can anyone advise me, as i am looking to purchase a laptop for my teenage son for college, and he will need it for course work, word excel etc, plus the usual downloading of music, watching DVD's, surfing the net. Can someone advise me as to where to get a good laptop with a £500 budget. Thanks in advance

Gongoozler 10:56 19 May 08

For the jobs you've described, you don't need a very high spec. If your son isn't planning to always run the laptop from the mains, you don't even need to worry too much about long battery life - which tends to push up the price. If you get a laptop with Vista Home Premium, then you need 2G of memory while Home Basic will be fairly happy with 1G. Have a look here for some good prices click here, but if you want the confidence of buying in a shop, PC World often have some reasonable deals, and at least then if you have a problem it's more convenient to bang on the counter!

handful 15:08 19 May 08

My son and I both have Acer 5920G's. Very pleased with them although they may be a bit high specced if he doen't play games as they have dedicated 256mb graphics cards and can handle most modern games with ease. Sound quality is very good for a laptop as well and for listening to music or watching dvds they are great. They are quite chunky though but have a quality feel to them. Latest price is around £550 from Gongoozlers link. I would recommend it highly apart from the fact that the system disc is on a partition on the hard drive and I don't like that idea. It comes with a trial version of Office Student or full version of Works. much.click here

Ditch999 15:25 19 May 08

Try to get one with an Intel CPU and chipset. They run cooler and faster. A 17" screen is a good thing, especially for DVDs but adds a lot of weight. Lenovo are good value for money (used to be IBM) and you can get them with XP instead of Vista. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…