Laptop problems

nick_b_87 15:53 04 Jun 10

packard bell easynote w3301

Ok, so I have had this laptop for a few years now and have only recently experienced this problem.

When I switch the laptop on I get the light turning green to indicate it's got power and the battery icons etc... all flash as normal. After this however the screen remains black and the light that indicates what I think is the CD drive flashes constantly, all other lights are off except for the power light and the light to indicate that the laptop is plugged into the mains.

This problem is of great annoyance as I have some very important work on the drive.

Has anybody got any advice? Feedback would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Nick

woody 15:58 04 Jun 10

Can not help with black screen but i will help by saying always keep a back up of your data.

Be careful of what you do now as you may damage the HD and not be able to recover the data.

rdave13 16:04 04 Jun 10

" CD drive flashes constantly ". I know it's a bit obvious but check no disc in drive. It might be trying to boot from it.

nick_b_87 16:18 04 Jun 10

I have checked the drive and theres no CD in, could it just be the screen failing?

I have tried to connect the laptop to a monitor but it didn't work, incompatible maybe, so will try with a different monitor.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:28 04 Jun 10

he light that indicates what I think is the CD drive flashes

its probably the Ha drive light as its booting up.

You could be suffering from graphics chip failure or screen / inverter / backlight failure.

Plug in an external monitor - you need to press a key combination to switch from LCD screen to external monitor, it should be the blue Fn key and one of the F keys (the ons with a blue square on it). Press the combination wait then press again.

Mine cycles through - lcd only - screen and external - external only (this could be your fault if its stuck in this mode)- lcd.

Look carefully at the Lcd screen can you see a faint image of your desktop (windows screen) if so then backlight or inverter failed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017