laptop problem

weemacs 13:41 07 Nov 09

HP 6710b was looping between splash screen and startup. Tried to reinstall windows but said cd not see hard drive altho diagnostics found hd to be ok. Disable native sata in bios and was able to see drive. Have formatted HD but when I try and reinstall windows it gets as far as 57% and can't install various files. Not a faulty disk as have tried three different xp disks that I know work. Also have run Hiren Boot disk to check hard drive and it says its fine. No problem with memeory either. Can anyone help at the end of my rope.

Pineman100 13:47 07 Nov 09

Have a look at the hard drive manufacturer's website. You should find free downloadable software for checking and (if possible) recovering full use of your hard drive.

However, if this software works, I shouldn't just forget about the current problem. You may have had an early warning of hard drive failure, so be sure to keep comprehensive backups of all your data, etc. in case you get a more serious failure in the future.

weemacs 13:52 07 Nov 09

have formatted hard drive so no chance of lost data

Pineman100 18:04 07 Nov 09

What I meant was that, if you are successful in recovering full use of your hard drive, and you reload Windows successfully, then you will obviously start to build up data on that drive again.

However, I'm advising a strict backup regime in case your current problems are an early warning that the hard drive might fail at some point in the future.

Did you check the hard drive manufacturer's website for drive recovery software?

weemacs 18:29 07 Nov 09

Its a Toshiba drive and its says on their website that they don't do their own diagnostics and forum advised to use Hitachi's dfd. I have already tested the drive with the Hiren software and it came out ok . Do you think I shd thry the Hitachi. Thanks for your help

Pineman100 15:26 09 Nov 09

I'm not familiar with the Hitachi software, so I can't advise you. But hard drives are quite often rebranded, so if people on the Toshiba forum say they've used it successfully, that may be the case with your drive. If they recommend it, maybe try it (at your own risk).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…