Laptop Prob

aja007 23:15 15 Apr 09

My laptop freezes about 70% through start-up and the curser freezes (with egg timer).

Earlier today a message flashed up re Virtual Memory but disappeared before I could read it...any suggestions???

Ashrich 23:27 15 Apr 09

Does it freeze at the same point every time or does it vary ? Can you boot it into safe mode ( by tapping f8 as it leaves the post screen and selecting " safe mode with networking )

Ashley

aja007 01:13 16 Apr 09

I managed to boot it using safe mode but now I've lost my wireless internet connection!!!

Any suggestions???

brundle 01:24 16 Apr 09

Yes, Safe Mode only loads essential drivers. Do a System Restore then reboot.

Ashrich 23:45 16 Apr 09

Safe mode with Networking should at least allow you to plug in an ethernet cable and have internet access that way , the fact it will boot into safe mode shows that it is probably a software problem either caused by a program you have loaded recently or something has got corrupted , so a system restore as suggested by brundle is a good starting point .

Ashley

woodchip 23:51 16 Apr 09

How much free space you got on the Hard Drive? looks like you need to do a spring clean of the drive. get rid of cookies and temp files etc click here
If you use the above, I suggest you leave it on Default settings after setup

woodchip 10:34 17 Apr 09

So how did you sort it please

aja007 15:57 17 Apr 09

I've solved this problem but now my laptop won't reconize my external hard drive.

Any suggestions???

Technotiger 15:59 17 Apr 09

Try a normal re-start for external drive to be recognised again.

aja007 16:39 17 Apr 09

Tried that several times...no luck!

woodchip 18:15 17 Apr 09

Take the battery out of Laptop removal Mains Power, Then Press and Hold Start button for ten seconds, Restart as normal and try your Drive

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…