LAPTOP POWER SUPPLY

shaduf 16:58 29 May 06

My neice’s Acer laptop refuses to boot into Windows and needs to go back to Acer.
I know, as soon as Acer get it back, it will be zapped.
Unfortunately she has not backed up any data and now she is unable to. I have removed the hard drive and using a USB device I have, my desktop PC recognises it, correctly seeing it as a Western Digital etc.
It also detects the two partitions, one of which is the Acer data and the other would be her data, but I get an error message saying unable to access.
The device I have is a Mains lead with Molex connector and a USB lead with a double sided IDE connector. One side is normal hard drive and the other fits the smaller connection on the laptop hard drive. I have nowhere on the laptop hard drive to connect a power lead. Does a laptop hard drive take its power through the small IDE type connector?
If so is the lack of access due to lack of power and if so how do I power it up?
Shaduf

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:18 29 May 06

"Does a laptop hard drive take its power through the small IDE type connector?"

yes, see adaptor cable click here

I have is a Mains lead with Molex connector and a USB lead with a double sided IDE connector. One side is normal hard drive and the other fits the smaller connection on the laptop"

I have just purchased one of these and can see no way on how to power a laptop drive with it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:22 29 May 06

Unless the laptop drive is taking the power from the 5V USB.

Perhaps someone else can shed light on this.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:30 29 May 06

Mine is one of these click here according to this write up (middle of page) it should power the laptopdrive from the USB cable without the mains adaptor being fitted.

shaduf 19:44 29 May 06

Hi Fruit Bat
Thanks for all that info. The gadget I have is identical to the R Driver II Usb to Ide Cable you linked me to. They confirm that a laptop hard drive needs no seperate power source as it can take it from the USB port.
So I conclude that my set up was OK and not the reason I couldn't access the laptop hard drive from my desktop.
That leaves me stuck for any other method of getting any data off it.
Thanks again for the very interesting links.
Shaduf

Totally-braindead 20:03 29 May 06

You mention it won't boot into windows does that include safe mode as well?

shaduf 20:32 29 May 06

Totally-braindead - Thanks for your interest.
Yes - won't boot with any of the options.
Not Safe Mode
Not Command Prompt
Not Network
Not Last Known Config.
With one of the options above there is a one second view of Windows start up screen followed by half a second of text on a blue screen which is too fast to read. Then blank.
Everything is recognised in the Bios so I think that after the POST when it gets to the point where it needs to spin the drive, its stuck with a total drive failure.
Apparently it was all in use OK and then the laptop was defragged and didn't work after that.
Shaduf

De Marcus™ 20:39 29 May 06

If your daughter saved her work on the ACER DATA partition, have you tried the recovery disks?

shaduf 21:02 29 May 06

De Marcus
No - I couldn't change the startup option in the Bios or rather it would change but not save so I couldn't run the recovery disk. I don't know where she saved her work to and neither does she but I couldn't access either partition when trying as above with the laptop drive connected to my desktop.
Shaduf

Taff™ 22:15 29 May 06

What exactly is the message denying access when you use the USB device. If it`s just "Access Denied" you need to "Take Ownership" of the files as an Adminstrator of your computer.

First you will have to be logged in as admin. Then you will have to take ownership of the d drive and files so you can change the permissions. To do this you will need to turn off simple file sharing. Double click my computer and go to tools folder options then click the view tab. Scroll all the way to the bottom and make sure "use simple file sharing" is NOT checked. Then you can right click the d drive and choose properties then the security tab. Now click advanced. Now the owner tab. Now click on your user and check the "Replace owner on subconatiners" check box. Hit ok. Now you should have control of the drive. Let me know how that works.

kdt 11:26 30 May 06

i think microsoft has a patch..i installed on my daughter's laptop..check MS site

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…