laptop power problem

al's left peg 21:53 11 Aug 09

A friend of mine has a Sony Vaio laptop which I would like the helproom opinion on.

A few weeks ago we had a major storm up here and her house suffered a lightning strike. The power went off and some electrical wiring was damaged. the laptop was plugged in and it could be that the lightning has indeed killed it. The only thing is though, the laptop continued to work for 3 days on the battery until it was discharged.
There is no power lights and I have removed the battery and held power switch down for over minute before reconnecting the power but still no joy.
Does anybody here think the laptop is beyond repair or with a bit of luck can it be fixed?

Thanks in advance,
AL.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:02 11 Aug 09

Maybe the power supply unit is dead, you need to check if there is the correct voltage at the DC jack plug.

If this is OK then it looks as if it has blown the power board in the laptop, you can get external chargers to charge the battery and then run the machine off the battery.

al's left peg 22:15 11 Aug 09

Hi Fruit Bat, she ordered a new AC adapter and it is working showing 19.6DCV so that is fine.

Where would she be able to buy a external charger for the battery Fruit Bat? I was unaware that they even existed.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:38 11 Aug 09

click here do them for DEll and HP not sure about Sony

click here

al's left peg 22:45 11 Aug 09

Cheers Fruit Bat, you are a genius!!!!

I will tick as resolved and pass this info onto her.

Thanks once again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…