Laptop Power

Strawballs 12:55 28 Jan 09

Here's one for the electronic experts, I have a 4yr old laptop, HP Pavillion zv5000 series with an Athlon XP3200+ CPU, Nvidia go 64meg Graphics.

The problem I am having is it stopped charging so I checked the small pin in the middle of the socket and is is loose so I decided to hard wire a connection direct to the MoBo.

I managed to identify the connections on the MoBo and soldered 2 wires to them and connected the other ends to a plug which connects to the end of the power supply (It is a multi adapter with changable plugs) The power supply is a 120watt supply which I have been using without problems until the socket problem.

It worked without the computer swithched on (charging light on) but as soon as the computer is switched on it stopped charging, so I went into the power options and changed it to power saving and it then works while switched on but doing nothing but stopped as soon as I try doing anything with the computer.

My question is if I get another power supply 150watt would it work but as it costs £45 I am reluctant if it won't.

oldbeefer2 13:03 28 Jan 09

You say it 'stopped charging' - do you have a battery in it, as after 4 yrs it could be shot. If you have a battery in, try removing it and see if the laptop powers up from the mains then.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:38 28 Jan 09

Laptop Battery not showing Charging
1. Turn off the computer,
2. Take the battery out
3. Take out the power supply
4. Push the power button down for 30 seconds.
5. Reconnect power supply
6. Then the battery.
Should now show 100% charged. This is because sometimes the mother board gets static and this clears it and the reason it showed not charging was beacuse it was fully charged.

Strawballs 22:16 28 Jan 09

It is not fully charged because as oldbeefeater2 say's the battery is shot and as soon as the charging light goes out it hibernates if I take out the battery as soon as I try doing something (not idleing) it dies.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

New iOS 11 release date rumours UK | new features coming to Siri, FaceTime, Messages and Video