Laptop pointing device gone crazy

Quilljar 16:42 08 May 06

I have an IBM laptop with Win 98 and the small redbutton pointing device. The arrow is almost uncontrollable and I wd like to get at the conrol panel to reset it or to connect a new mouse and driver. With this elderly machine will it be possible to get in through Safe mode? Can anyone remind me how to control the pointer using the keyboard?

Stuartli 16:43 08 May 06

Do you have a corded PS/2 mouse to try?

Quilljar 16:56 08 May 06

No I don't
I believe that the IBM mouse connection is non standard? I do have an old optical mouse with a 98 driver, but I will have to use the keyboard, I think to get it installed!

The laptop belongs to a friend so I do not have it by me ATM

Salut 17:04 08 May 06

Some time agao I had a similar problem that was finally tracked down to muck in the toggle arm recess.

Quilljar 19:37 08 May 06

Thanks, I will be round there tomorrow and will give it a good clean out!

woodchip 19:52 08 May 06

If you are on 98 or 95 click on start using arrow key and enter up to settings control panel use shift key to navigate then press enter to the SYSTEM ICON.
shift key to Mouse enter key to expand then click on mouse to select with keys the to bottom of box and use shift to select remove press enter to remove then shift to the close button start key shut down and restart computer it should reset the mouse. Same with a touch pad

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…