Laptop plays DVD but not CD's

janet13 20:14 PM 17 Apr 11

My 3 year old top of the range Acer Aspire (Windows 7) suddenly stopped playing CD's I cleaned the laser deleted the driver in device manager and updated the video card drivers.

As this did not work I purchased an new Panasonic drive, couldn't get the same as original it was a Toshiba HD drive and no one makes HD's anymore. Tested it with a DVD this time and it played OK.

The mystery is I have discovered that the new drive will not play CD's either it just clonks and stops and when I put the old drive back I found that it too will play DVD but not CD!

Tried everthing but cannot find any problems in registry, Windows etc. Have I got 2 faulty drives or have I missed something?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:12 PM 17 Apr 11

Normaly CD laser gone but on a second drive then maybe something else.

Check your Device Manager. If your IDE controllers are Nvida IDE controklers, roll the driver back. historical problems with this driver.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…