Laptop playing up

Bike-it 22:10 09 Oct 11

My laptop a Dell studio is playing up, when i switch it on it boots to the desktop but nothing works, the keyboard the mouse, the bluetooth, wifi and hard disc lights constantly flash. But if i leave it for about twenty minutes the laptop returns to normal. any idea what could be causing this and how to fix it.

rdave13 22:13 09 Oct 11

Sounds like something is using a lot of CPU on boot-up. Have you checked for malware/virus'?

Bike-it 22:15 09 Oct 11

I ran malawarebytes, ccleaner, and microsoft security essentials, nothing was found.

lotvic 22:16 09 Oct 11

Sounds as if it is busy, busy, doing something. What programs do you have set to run at Startup? - Antivirus full scan, Windows Indexing, a scheduled backup etc. maybe?

rdave13 22:26 09 Oct 11

Also what antivirus or firewall programs do you have running apart from MSE?

Bike-it 22:40 09 Oct 11

nope, there are very little programmes set to run at start up as i check this, av only scans when i start it manually, no scheduled backup selected. any other help please

rdave13 22:51 09 Oct 11

Start in safemode and run your security software. Something is using your laptop's CPU on startup unless your hard drive is failing. Vista your operating system?

Bike-it 23:30 09 Oct 11

Yea Vista, i will try running all the programmes mentioned above in safe mode and let you all know the results.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…