laptop picks up wireless but doesn't connect

pookie 22:42 01 Sep 07

hi

i have dlink modem/router which i connect my desktop to tiscali broadband wirelessly.

a friend has a laptop, on dial up, which required lots of secrutity updates, virus updates, etc. I offered to connect her laptop to my broadband to download all updates for her pc.

her laptop, xp pro, detects my wireless conection and says it is connected but no internet page opens. i have entered to modem/router network key alright. I also tried cable from laptop to modem/router but still will not connect to internet.

any ideas?

P

woodchip 23:31 01 Sep 07

try switching the modem off and then after about30 seconds back on. leave the computer switched on

paul€ 23:31 01 Sep 07

You will have to change the default settings. Go to IE and open tools > internet options > connections > select never dial a connection and then go to lan settings. pick Automatically detect settings.

You might also have to go into network connections and highlight the dial-up icon and disable it.

Unfortunatley when trying to access a lan or WiFi connection when the machine has a dial-up setting, you some times have to delete the dial-up setting to especially if it does not use the same default ISP.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…