A laptop performance problem

Jonah(without the whale) 17:53 31 Jan 09

I have a Compaq laptop (not the machine I'm using now) that is very slow - it seems that when the machine is idle (running XP) about every 5-10 seconds or so the hard disc is checked or read or something - becasue my orange light flickers and the familiar quiet ticking noise happens.
As I say, this occurs about every 5-10 seconds, even when the machine is standing idle.
Can anyone tell me if this is significant to my performance problem,or indeed significant at all. And can I stop it (my main desktop machine does not do it, and neither has any other machine I've worked on)

Cheers

MAJ 18:05 31 Jan 09

It's probably Windows indexing your files for faster searching, it does this when your computer isn't doing anything else. It can be turned off if you wish. click here

But it could also be some malware doing it's thing in the background, do all the usual antivirus and antimalware checks.

Jonah(without the whale) 19:00 31 Jan 09

Thanks for your very quick response.
I was able to check the machine immediately and unfortunately, the indexing was aleady switched off.
There are lots of other things that are not disabled, and from their titles I tried switching them off and seeing what the result would be - no difference.

I'm now scanning the machine with McAfee, and I'll try one of the registry fixing programs as well.
Any other ideas welcome, but it may be a day or two before I can react.

Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…