Laptop performance: MSCONFIG, Norton Utilities etc

entsal007 09:11 17 Nov 09

My laptop has become more sluggish over its 3 years... no doubt all the crap I've amassed on here... purchased and tried Norton Utilities this weekend and the only thing it has achieved is to create an annoying Sonic Activation Module popup appear on startup ... I read somewhere on PC Advisor that all I need to do is run "MSCONFIG" and untick a couple of items in the startup tab... however I have 43 items in there!! And I'm unsure about many of them...

SO here's my 2 questions...

1) How can I get a proper understanding of these 43 items most of which have esoteric rather than meaningful descriptions;

2) How can I speed up my laptop - is Norton Utilities the answer? If so, how? If not, what?

Thank you,
Alan.

rawprawn 10:33 17 Nov 09

Here is an extended list of Start ups, from this you can decide whether or not to untick any in msconfig

click here

Norton Utilities may help but a free alternative is Advanced Care System

click here

I am not a Norton fan.

RobCharles1981 11:02 17 Nov 09

Agree with Rawpawn here, I'm not a norton fan either Adanced Care System is what I use, I'm not sure what else you are using with regards to Antivirus but in any case have a look at this thread:

click here

wee eddie 11:51 17 Nov 09

click here

Clear all the Cookies etc. Remember that you will have to enter all your Passwords again.

Forget 'msconfig', it lists everything. Use CCleaner for that as well, only "disable" a few off the list, each time, and always 'Back-up' as recommended.

When you next 'reboot'. Delete those that you have previously disabled and disable a few more, until you have just your Security Programs running in the background.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…