Laptop Performance

buddiebuoy 22:19 05 May 05

I am currently looking for a cheap basic laptop - only for word processing, spreadsheets and email. I have seen plenty available and while I realise that you will only get what you pay for, do the bottom end models (running on about 1.3ghz celeron, 256 mb ram) perform well enough without you wanting to smash them off walls and floors? My home PC currently has an Athlon 3000 and 512 mb ram and was wondering how such a laptop would compare.

woodchip 22:46 05 May 05

click here
Take your Pick

woodchip 22:47 05 May 05

PS if you want it just for word processing, spreadsheets and email and be mobile, don't expect it to be able to run games

buddiebuoy 23:08 05 May 05

I wouldn't be running anything that used a lot of memory at all. Maybe a little bit of internet. Just looking for portability really and cheap to run.

woodchip 23:20 05 May 05

Think this would fit what you want click here

* Intel Celeron Mobile 1.4GHz Processor
* 256MB Hi-Speed DDR RAM Memory
* 14.1" XGA TFT Display
* 30GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive
* DVD/CDRW Combo Drive
* Intel 855GM Dynamic 64MB SMA
* Intel Integrated Wireless LAN Card
* 5.1 Surround Sound
* 3 Years RTB Warranty

You need a Operating System, this is Extra. Look down the list of what you can get extra

wee eddie 00:16 06 May 05

For Office work alone, I feel that there are only 3 things to consider.

Ram - 512Mg will increase battery life as there will be considerably less use of the HDD (Swap-file use)

Screen - Size can make a considerable difference when working on large documents. Incidentally, I believe that the Wide Screen jobs (designed for viewing movies) have wider keyboards.

Battery life - if you are going to be out of office for a while.

Belatucadrus 00:30 06 May 05

My FIC laptop has a 300Mhz AMD chip, admittedly I've upped the RAM from 32 to 128, but it still works fine for office apps and most stuff. OK so I'm never going to pay Doom 3 with it or edit any video. But compared with that a 1.3Ghz Celeron sounds pretty quick and the likelihood of bouncing one off hard surfaces a bit remote.

dagwoood 10:19 06 May 05

Here's a couple for you.

This is dirt cheap, but no operating system click here

This is dearer, but not a bad spec for the money click here

HTH, dagwoood.

buddiebuoy 12:12 06 May 05

Thanks for all that.
Can I legally use my current XP Homw licence in the machines that have no OS? Battery life is not really a problem as although it needs to be portable I would mostly use it off the mains.

buddiebuoy 12:12 06 May 05

Thanks for all that.
Can I legally use my current XP Home licence in the machines that have no OS? Battery life is not really a problem as although it needs to be portable I would mostly use it off the mains.

woodchip 12:21 06 May 05

You can install it if you have not activated your other computer for about 3 monthes, as record will be removed under data protection act. This is if it's your computer

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…