Laptop, PC and a wireless router

Mutant_Llama 08:52 10 May 04

I plan to buy myself a cheap laptop and, after advice from VoG (cheers for that mate), a wireless router.

I plan to use my current internet connection (BlueYonder 2MB broadband) that runs through my main PC and share it with the laptop.

I have a query about the connections on the wireless router:

1) Would I need an additional network card on my main PC to accommodate the wireless router connections, or will it run through my PC main network card (that is currently occupied by the cable modem)

2) Would I then just need the PCMCIA port on the laptop to put what ever connection the wireless router uses to the laptop?

As you have realised by now I am a networking noob, and all I want to do is be able to use a laptop for the internet in one room without too much hassle.....

computernerdiamnot 09:17 10 May 04

You connect the main pc through the ethernet port of the main computer to the router and add a wireless card to the laptop, Netgear seems quite popular on this site. click here

computernerdiamnot 09:21 10 May 04

If you use a usb modem to connect to the internet you will have to have a ethernet card fitted if you do not have one already.

computernerdiamnot 09:26 10 May 04

Or you can buy a wirless router with built in modem and buy a pcmcia card for laptop and a pci wirless card for desktop.

Mutant_Llama 09:46 10 May 04

So my current setup:

1) Main computer with network card (rj45) connected to cable modem

Would convert to:

1) Main PC connected to wireless router
2) Cable modem connected to wireless router
3) Laptop connected via PCMCIA to wireless router

Is this about correct, meaning I would not need a second NIC on my main PC?

Thanks in advance!

computernerdiamnot 12:14 10 May 04

I think that is right rj45 connected from main computer to router, Router connected to phone line and laptop with wirless card.

SEASHANTY 17:00 10 May 04

Ad you are using a cable modem with Blueyonder cable
your cable modem will be separate. You can not purchase routers with cable modems incorporated. The setup is as you have outlined. Your cable modem connects to the routers WAN port with a straight through RJ45 ethernet cable and NO you do not need another NIC in your main PC.

SEASHANTY 17:05 10 May 04

Robin Walkers website covers networking and internet
setup problems on both NTL and Blueyonder Cable Broadband click here

VoG II 17:10 10 May 04

To get this to work you will have to either

(a) register the router's MAC address with BT Technical Support, or

(b) clone your desktop's MAC address to the router.

Your router manual should explain how to do (b).

click here

Mutant_Llama 18:22 10 May 04

Appreciated, thanks for the help!

SEASHANTY 19:50 10 May 04

Did I miss something here. Blueyonder cable broadband with cable modem. Why should this have anything to do with BT technical support?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…