Laptop to PC using USB

SmiffyRebel 10:41 14 Nov 04

Can anyone tell me is it possible to connect a laptop to a PC using a USB cable.
Cheers

Satmansq 10:44 14 Nov 04

Dont know but depending on age most PCs and laptops have Network ports which are specifically designed to connect PCs, which for 2 machines just requires a crossover cable.

Dorsai 10:49 14 Nov 04

It can be done, with the relevant software/cable.

Is can also be done using printer style comm ports, and the relevant cable. If i remember rightly, all versions of windows from 95 on have the software as standard for this sort of connection.

But it will depend what you are trying to do as to whether the connection will be fast enough to be usable.

But i have only one PC, so cant suggest as to how to go about actually doing it.

Josh123 11:19 14 Nov 04

A couple of years ago I used PC-Linq to migrate files from my old laptop (which had no CD-RW) to a new desktop. The software came with a USB cable. It gave each computer a file listing of the C drive of the other, so you coupld copy across files or directories. I seem to remember it was around £20 for the s/w and cable.

Magik ®© 11:21 14 Nov 04

Maplins will flog you a lead to do just that, cost about £10, made for transfering files and the like........

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…