Laptop to PC via Router

jdb 21:18 20 Apr 05

I have a laptop (Win XP) with wireless connection to a Broadband Router and therefore wireless connection to the internet. It works perfectly. Also attached to the Router by cable is a new PC (Win XP) and this connects to the internet also - no problem. I would like to be able to print from my laptop using the current Epson printer attached to the PC. I have given both the PC and laptop the same Workgroup name and run the wizard to set this up but no joy thus far. I cannot ping the other either way.
1. Is it possible to have a link to each other via the Router?
2. Do I need any special settings on the Router?
3. Any other issues?
Thanks to all.
John

RealDopey 23:20 20 Apr 05

I run the same sort of system, but to make life easy I do not have the firewalls turned on, basically I have a built in firewall in the router which stops outsiders. Although you have run the wizard, have you checked to make sure the printer is shared on the desktop PC?

Try running the wizard again making sure you have allowed file and printer sharing, it has been known for people to forget to allow it.

jdb 18:15 28 Apr 05

Thanks for response - apologies for delay in acknowledging but have been away for a few days. I'm happy print sharing is enabled and have also tried with firewalls off but to no avail. I have had this working when my old PC was connected via wifi to the network before I was on Broadband and therefore before I had a Router. Hence I'm not too sure if data can be transferred from the laptop via the Router to the PC?
I'll keep going anyway.
Thanks again
John

mgmcc 21:49 29 Apr 05

<<<I'm happy print sharing is enabled and have also tried with firewalls off but to no avail.>>>

The printer needs to be set as "shared" in its Properties and installed as a "network printer" in the client PC.

1) Connect the printer to the laptop, as though it were to be used with that computer, and install it. This ensures that it has all the necessary software/drivers on board.

2) Reconnect it to the "host" PC and, in its Properties, set it as "shared". In the laptop's "My Network Places" (or Network Neighborhood), the printer should then appear as a shared resource of the "host" PC along with any shared folders. Double clicking the printer in the remote PC should automatically install it as a "network printer" in the laptop. If you are always going to print via the network, you may want to set the "network printer" as the default.

Otherwise, have a look at this Microsoft article. It is an old article written for Windows 95, but the basic principle for installing the network printer should still be valid.

h t t p : / / support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;141839

<<<Hence I'm not too sure if data can be transferred from the laptop via the Router to the PC?>>>

Yes, it can. As far as file/printer sharing is concerned, the router is just a network hub/switch.

Strawballs 00:49 01 May 05

You could also buy a wireless print server so you could print from either without the other being switched on.

Brian-336451 10:56 01 May 05

Does your router have a USB port (the printer too requires one).

I had set up the printer to my wife's machine, but in order to wirelessly print, her machine had to be left on.

I've used the router's inbuilt ability to support a printer and now the printer is attached to the router and the laptops can be on or off, it doesn't matter. Either laptop can now print from any location in the house.

My previous set up was as you describe.

It does sound as if the firewall is your problem, however the Network Connection wizard is supposed to set the firewall to allow this.

Have you tried just using XP's own firewall. I had to do this twice when setting up my system the first time and it DID work.

Without being funny, read every word of the wizard and do EXACTLY what it says and it SHOULD work.

Shaun001 13:53 01 May 05

Make sure you config the firewall on each computer with the other computer's IP address.

Shaun

jdb 18:34 01 May 05

Thanks to everyone who has replied, I'm away again at my son's house and will look at all the suggestions when I return Monday pm. Ultimately I intend to use my old PC, which has a Wifi card, as a print server and so avoiding relying on my daughter's PC being on when I want to print. The old PC is in a spare room and will therefore be available to both her and me - eventually. I have tried using it but it has Windows ME and I think that will be a step too far for me at this time! The printer does not have a USB connection and so I assume it cannot be linked direct to the Router.
I use Zone Alarm firewall on both XP machines and so the Windows forewalls are set to OFF. As soon as I get home I'll go throught the wizard again and follow it step by step first with the firewalls off - including the ideas put forward by mgmcc.
Thank you all again for taking the trouble to reply and trying to help - I'm really most grateful and will let you know how I get on.
JohnB UK

Strawballs 22:11 01 May 05

Not THAT Brian May you can only do that if your Router has a built in print server that yours must have not all do if not you can buy a wireles print server which has a USB socket

jdb 16:38 04 May 05

Thank you all. Having returned from my son's I tried all your excellent suggestions and the killer issue that seemed to be the sticking point was the inclusion of my laptop's IP into the PCs firewall!
It now works a treat and I must thank you all sincerely for taking the time and trouble to help me out.
Regards
John B
UK

Brian-336451 08:38 05 May 05

You are quite correct - thank you.

Not being an 'expert' I didn't really know if the kit my router has is standard fitment or not these days.

The fact of the matter is that in my ignorance I bought the best router I could and found out that it is far more capable than me (always a good sign).

Its ability to act as a print server is outstanding and very useful.

Asus WL500b/g by the way.

Thanks again for the info. The previous way (as jdb has) worked perfectly as long as my wife's laptop was left on - frankly that irritated me but undeniably it works.

Well done jdb too. Satisfying isn't it?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…