Laptop to PC Network problems

Bubo 14:39 31 Oct 03

Hi All

I am trying to network my laptop to my desktop without alot of success. I have simply run a CAT5e RJ45 crossover lead from one to the other. Both have 10/100 ethernet cards in them which are said to be working properly. The laptop also has something called a "1394 net adapter" which is also enabled.
I ran the network setup wizard on the desktop as I wanted this as the host. It has a DSL USB modem. Now, when I click "My Network Places" I can see both the laptop and the desktop in the view. However I only have a shared folder displayed for the desktop and when I attempt to access the laptop icon (right click the icon then choose explore) I get the following error message:
"Laptop is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the adminstrator of this serverto find out if you have access permissions. The network path was not found."
On the laptop itself things are worse. I ran the wizard and the network appeared in the directory tree. However when I try to access it in any way I get the same error message as above apart from the last line which now reads "The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available."
I am running XP home on both machines and both are being run as administrator accounts at this time.
Does anybody know what I doing wrong.

Bubo

AndySD 15:01 31 Oct 03

Is or was the laptop also used on another network. (eg your office)?

Bubo 15:11 31 Oct 03

No, this is the fisrt time I have tried such a thing !

Bubo

AndySD 15:35 31 Oct 03

1) This behavior can occur if you enable the ICF that will closes the ports for file sharing by default. Turn off the XP firewall. Go Start then My Network Places then View Network Connections choose Advanced and untick the firewall.

2) Check the Workgroup Name on both PC's are the same.

3) On both pc's go Start then Accessories then Command Prompt and type in

ipconfig /all

and hit enter.

Does it say

IP Address 192.168.0.* (where* is a number. the numbers should differ)

Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

and what is the Default Gateway.

4) When you ran the wizard did you choose the workgroup option.

5) No master browser. Starting Computer Browser Service on one of xp computers should fix the problem. Its in control Panel then Admin tools then Services.

Bubo 16:04 31 Oct 03

All XP firewall settings were turned off prior to attempting to network the machines. I am running zonealarm pro on them and this too was configured to allow networking before I started any wizards.

The IP on the laptop is:

Autoconfiguration IP Address : 169.254.83.225
Subnet mask : 255.255.0.0
No default gateway

IP on the desktop is very different:

Ethernet Adapter LAN

Autoconfiguration IP Address : 169.254.209.33
Subnet mask : 255.255.0.0
No default gateway

PPP Adapter Internet adsl

IP Address : 80.46.150.225
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway : 80.46.150.225

I have looked at computer browswer and it appears to be already running.

Is there a way that I can delete off the current network settings and start from afresh ?

I have very little hair left now !

Bubo

AndySD 16:39 31 Oct 03

on each pc

go to the command prompt and type in

ipconfig /release

and hit enter.

then use the network wizard on the laptop with the homenetwork option and no server. Create the floppy and take it to the other pc.

If it still doesnt work we will try manually setting the ip addresses.

Bubo 06:46 03 Nov 03

Hi Andy

Sorry I have been away from the PC for a bit.

When I run the ipconfig/release command I get the following message at the command propmt.

"No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its media disconnected".

Is this normal. I have not tried it on the laptop yet.

I will be in and out of the forum all week. Thanks for your help on this one. I was told this wouldbe a straight forward task.

Bubo

Saltyseadog 07:59 03 Nov 03

Hi Bubo,

Like you I have been having problems setting up a network, unfortunately I still did not get it working before I went back to work as I work away so I will be following your post with interest. You can catch up with the help I received by reading my posting on 'Home networking,please help', the last posting of which was on 21/10/03.
Good luck I'll be watching with interest.

AndySD 14:29 03 Nov 03

I susspect its the firewalls. I had to completely remove ZoneAlarm click here from my home PC's to get the network up and running. I reinstalled afterwards with all the PC's connected and turned on.

XP's networking wizard doesnt normally set the ip address to 169.254.*.*

On the PC try going to Start/My Network Places/View Network Connections then on the 'Local Area Connection choose Properties highlight Internet Protocol and click Properties select 'Use the following IP Address and type in

IP Address 192.168.0.1

Now on the notebook try going to Start/My Network Places/View Network Connections then on the 'Local Area Connection choose Properties highlight Internet Protocol and click Properties select 'Use the following IP Address and type in

IP Address 192.168.0.5

Default Gateway 192.168.0.1

Now try again to see if the network is working.

AndySD 15:04 03 Nov 03

Ooops forgot to mention media disconnected can mean eithet the network cable is not connected or that the network card drivers are not installed or corrupted. Try reinstalling the drivers on the pc. It could also be that the cable is damaged (are you using a crossover cable?)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…