Laptop overheating

fredyflame 10:47 13 Jan 05

I have a new Gericom laptop 1.7 centrino
and last night I noticed very warm air coming out of the vents even when it was idle it also froze so i had to keep re setting it but it still froze
I assume it is running too hot and shutting down.
Is this purely a hardware fault or is it possibly software

Jdoki 11:39 13 Jan 05

Laptops can generate a lot of hot air.

A collegue of mine had a Pentium IV laptop with the air vent on the same side you would use an external mouse. The air was so hot it was very uncomfortable using the mouse! But the machine never locked up or shut down.

So, it's not necessarily overheating that is causing the lock ups on your machine.

Have you recently installed any new software or changed any settings? Are you using an external USB mouse or any USB devices?

As it's a new machine I assume it's under warranty - might be worth getting them to look at it.

fredyflame 12:18 13 Jan 05

Centrinos are supposed to run a lot cooler than p4's
I have not installed and new software or started using any usb stuff

igk 13:38 13 Jan 05

My advice for what its worth is get it back to where you purchased it from so that they can sort it out before any serious damage is caused! it's also my opinion that the term "laptop" is very misleading I have had several clients damage thier machines by literally using it on thier laps and if the cpu fan exit is directly underneath this can get blocked and cause overheating,they should be used on a table or if people must use it as previously mentioned use a tea tray to put the machine on.Hope this helps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…