Laptop or Notebook?

wotbus@ 10:07 15 Jan 07

What's in a name, does it matter, do we even care? I have just been reading the PC Pro 2006 awards supplement and was surprised to see Laptops are now called Notebooks - why? They are still exactly the same and do the same job, but their name has changed. I imagine a lot are used on desks in offices or at home but probably a lot more are used on laps - trains, planes, buses etc so whilst Portable PC (Personal Computer) would be their correct name, Laptop seems more applicable and relevent - and we all know what one is don't we? A Notebook is something in which to write Notes surely! A portable telephone used to be a Portable, now it's a Mobile. A Handheld is, I think, a Personal Organiser (electronic version of the Agenda/Diary wallet thingy which Yuppies used to, ummmm, hand carry everywhere). I suppose "hand held" because because that's, uhhhhhh, where you hold it as opposed to tucking it under your chin or arm while you Text/Photograph with your mobile in one hand and handhold you notebook in the other...duhhhhh. It is actually a small computer but can't be named as such as we already have portable computers called Notebooks and latterly Laptops. Are all things portable now mobile? I suspect since UK became another American state this dire situation has a lot to do with it but if we all know what we are talking about then let's all relax and go with the flow.
I am writing this on my PLDPC (has a nice ring to it if you say it often enough - it's my Permanently Located Desktop Personal Computer). What! Wait a minute, it's a Permanent Desktop Notebook isn't it....as opposed to a Portable Notebook, sorry Mobile Note..oh sorry again, Handheld... oh what the heck.
Yawl have a nice day ;-)

wotbus@ 10:16 15 Jan 07

FE: Please would you put this in Speaker's Corner. Thanks.

Gongoozler 11:02 15 Jan 07

I think it could well be that when they first appeared they were intended for laptop use, but with the heat some of them generate this could well be considered a false description.

Belatucadrus 11:07 15 Jan 07

Also considering the American litigation culture and the recent case of a man who toasted his unmentionables with a "Laptop" it map be legally prudent not to suggest they be used there.

Gongoozler 11:11 15 Jan 07

The mind boggles at the thought of a Sony battery exploding while being used in this situation!!

wotbus@ 13:28 15 Jan 07

Perhaps valid reasons for not risking roasting one's chestnuts - but why change the name to Notebook which more accurately describes the Personal Organiser? Why not simply Portable PC - what's wrong with it? Anyway, users on the move will 99% of the time use them on their laptop no matter what it's called. Of course, we live in a world where there is no individual responsiblity, where something is always some else's fault, so I suppose if it was called a Laptop and one'e chestnuts were roasted, one assumes a legitimate case against the manufacturer because it was they who suggested in a round-about way that the laptop is where it has to be used. Are their people who actually think like that? The mind boggles..
Perhaps PCA could run a poll on what a portable computer should really be called - over to you FE.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009