laptop or desktop dilemma

Astrid 08:51 10 Feb 11

I recently ordered and took delivery of an Acer laptop. At the same time a technician supplied a new router so that I could go between my desktop and the laptop. However, the laptop proved to be faulty and has been returned. I'm not sure whether I can trust the same make of laptop again and also I've been convinced that laptops give a lot more trouble, on the whole. I'm now wondering if I should simply update my desktop (it's going to need it sooner rather than later, in any case). I still have the problem of the router, also making a sensible decision. I'd be interested to know what members think of the laptop v desktop, as regards reliability. The router is a TP-Link 300Mbps Wireless N ADSL2+ -

birdface 09:23 10 Feb 11

Laptops are Ok but I believe Desktops will last longer with less problems.
It is usually the power supply or battery that goes first and then the Motherboard if the power socket gets loose.
It is definitely handy to have and treated with respect can last a long time.

Ex plorer 09:30 10 Feb 11

Hi Bound to get a faulty laptop or desk top occasionally so don't be put off from what you would prefer.

A desk top will give you more power so to speak pound for pound than a laptop.

But if you want convenience of taking the laptop from room to room then its your best option.

Don't be put off just because you received a faulty laptop of any make as these things happen.

robin_x 13:26 10 Feb 11

I had a very old laptop (12 yrs) that I hardly used, going upstairs to my desktop instead.

But I felt that was anti-social, so got a new laptop 15 months ago.

I keep it beside where I sit in the living room and it is great being always on.

While I never had problems with laptops before, work or home and lots of travelling, this one (a Compaq CQ61) has required maintenance.

First I knocked it off the side table and broke the screen. Modern screens are fragile!
Replaced it myself. Then the fan has been causing problems. (noisy)
Fixed that once too, but have to do it again.
I'll bodge it better this time.

I can do it but laptops are such a faff to take apart.
Still I would rather have the overall convenience.

Batteries are something I don't worry about these days. My old laptop didn't have a battery for 9 of its 12 years.
In a pub or cafe, sit near a socket and ask if OK to plug-in. I was never refused.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…