Laptop occasionally does not connect to wifirouter

rawprawn 17:24 10 Oct 07

that says it all, if I reboot it connects. Is there a way of stopping/minimising this odd occurrence?

topdude 19:54 10 Oct 07

Could it be that when running your laptop on battery the network card/wireless device shuts down to save power ? When you reboot it wakes up ?
What happens if laptop is connected to the mains ?

rawprawn 20:04 10 Oct 07

My laptop is always connected to the mains. I got rid of my desktop and bought a 17" screen laptop to save space. So I guess that can't be the reason.(Vaio VGN-AR31E Vista Home Premium.)

Dipso 20:56 10 Oct 07

I have this occasionally, sometimes it connects straightaway sometimes it needs a prod. I find if I click on search for available networks it springs into action.

rawprawn 07:39 11 Oct 07

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately when I try to do that I just get "No Network Available"
There is no problem when I reboot. A neighbour says he has a similar proble. I am beginning to wonder if it is a local exchange problem.Also he is using a different make of router to mine.

Dipso 14:09 11 Oct 07

If you click on Refresh Network List do you still get "No network available"?

The local exchange has no effect on your wireless, so the fact that your neighbour has the same problem must be coincidence or there is some form of local interference. Have you tried changing the wireless channel?

rawprawn 08:31 12 Oct 07

Sorry for the late reply, I don't know the answer to your question. It has connected on every boot since my post and until it fails I can't test it. As I said it only happens occasionally. I was really hoping that it was a common problem and that someone would give me the way out, I should be so lucky =)) I will try your suggestion next time it fails, Thanks rawprawn.

ambra4 03:37 13 Oct 07

See if this help

Other Network Connection Setting

Click-Start- Setting-Network Connection-New Connection Wizard

Select-Connect to the Internet-Next

Select-Set Up My Connection Manually-Next

Select-Connect using a broadband connection that is always on

Next-Finish

rawprawn 07:55 13 Oct 07

I am using Vista, and I think those instructions apply tp XP. I am already connected in the way you suggest. Have I misread you?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…