Laptop not receiving IP address

Stuart Leyland 22:34 29 Mar 05

Evening folks :-)

I'm having a great deal of trouble trying to get my Windows 98SE laptop to get an IP address from my new Netgear DG834G's DHCP.

My computer and my sister's computer which are both wired to the router were given an IP address straight away and we haven't looked back since with both computers able to ping each other and view and access the shared files and folders. Both have access to the internet.

I've tried everything possible to get the laptop to get an IP address from the router but it isn't playing ball. There should be no problems with the laptop not being in range because it is less than 30cm from the router.

I know the wireless card works because I've had the laptop connecting to the internet when I had another router but I remember that being a pain in the rear to get working as well.

I think that I assigned the laptop an IP address by hand last time and did some jiggery pokery from a DOS prompt (in Windows) to get the internet working correctly. I believe I was using a command called route but I'm not sure if that will solve the problem here.

I'd list the things that I've tried butI can't remember what I've tried! If you can suggest something, I would be very greatful because I'm at my wits end with this thing!

Kind regards

Stuart Leyland 23:35 29 Mar 05

Back again folks :-)

I have no idea what I did but the laptop is now working and is currently downloading it's Windows Updates.

Apologies for not being able to offer any information as to what caused it to suddenly behave all of a sudden.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…