Laptop not playing DVD's correctly

JamesAOK 20:08 13 Apr 08

For some reason my DVD drive isn't playing DVD's correctly- the video is jerky on all the discs I've tried.

The laptop is about 3 months old.

It has been working fine, but it's not been playing DVD's corectly since I was burning a DVD about a week ago. It started making a funny noise so I had to cancel the burn process.

It's not playing any DVD's correctly, either self-burned DVD's or commercial DVD's. It is Windows XP, I'm using WMP but have also tried VLC.

The problem is with the DVD player rather than the video card, as I can play videos fine that are already on the hard drive. I've tried cleaning the lens gently with a cotton bud, but no success.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:33 13 Apr 08

In device manage uninstall the DVD player reboot the laptop and let windows find and reinstall the drive, see if that makes a difference.

JamesAOK 20:45 13 Apr 08

Unfortunately that hasn't worked. I just don't know what could be wrong with it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:50 13 Apr 08

Virtually all CDs /DVDs players and writers will use the same windows drivers in XP. they are in the windows\system32\dirvers\ or windows\system32\DRIVERS \ folder and are:-
DRIVERS\cdrom.sys

DRIVERS\imapi.sys

drivers\MxWI2k.sys

drivers\pfc.sys

DRIVERS\REDBOOK.sys

and in the windows\system32 folder

storprop.dll

try device manager update driver and install these files. to get your CD/DVD working again.

JamesAOK 23:14 13 Apr 08

Hi, thanks for your response. I tried device manager, but it said it couldn't find a better update for my PC.

The only files missing from my System32 folder that you menton are MxWI2k.sys and pfc.sys. I am unsure what to do about that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac