Laptop not playing DVD's correctly

JamesAOK 20:08 13 Apr 08

For some reason my DVD drive isn't playing DVD's correctly- the video is jerky on all the discs I've tried.

The laptop is about 3 months old.

It has been working fine, but it's not been playing DVD's corectly since I was burning a DVD about a week ago. It started making a funny noise so I had to cancel the burn process.

It's not playing any DVD's correctly, either self-burned DVD's or commercial DVD's. It is Windows XP, I'm using WMP but have also tried VLC.

The problem is with the DVD player rather than the video card, as I can play videos fine that are already on the hard drive. I've tried cleaning the lens gently with a cotton bud, but no success.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:33 13 Apr 08

In device manage uninstall the DVD player reboot the laptop and let windows find and reinstall the drive, see if that makes a difference.

JamesAOK 20:45 13 Apr 08

Unfortunately that hasn't worked. I just don't know what could be wrong with it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:50 13 Apr 08

Virtually all CDs /DVDs players and writers will use the same windows drivers in XP. they are in the windows\system32\dirvers\ or windows\system32\DRIVERS \ folder and are:-
DRIVERS\cdrom.sys

DRIVERS\imapi.sys

drivers\MxWI2k.sys

drivers\pfc.sys

DRIVERS\REDBOOK.sys

and in the windows\system32 folder

storprop.dll

try device manager update driver and install these files. to get your CD/DVD working again.

JamesAOK 23:14 13 Apr 08

Hi, thanks for your response. I tried device manager, but it said it couldn't find a better update for my PC.

The only files missing from my System32 folder that you menton are MxWI2k.sys and pfc.sys. I am unsure what to do about that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…