Laptop not creating Restore Points

lynwill53 11:49 10 Nov 09

I have a HP notebook on Windows XP. I recently changed from Tiscali to Sky Broadband, which brought with it IE8. I already knew this could cause trouble, and so it did, freezing and generally misbehaving. So I went back to IE7 and all seemed well.
Until my laptop had a "blue screen" moment, and told me I had to do a System Restore. This had happened occasionally before so I didn't expect any problem. First of all I could not access "Help & Support", but I was talked through sorting this out. Then, when I went to Restore Points, there weren't any!!
Nothing! On the left it said "On this calendar, click a bold date", but there wasn't even a calendar! On the right, it said "No restore points have been created". They've always been there before, no problem.
So I found some instructions, made sure it was all enabled, and there was plenty of space on the disc (31 GB!), and then asked it to create a restore point immediately. It said it had.
IT HADN'T! Nothing again. I have now tried this several times, and every time it tells me that a restore point has been created, but it's NOT THERE.
At the moment everything else seems to be working ok, (fingers crossed), despite the fact that it never did get the restoration it said was required.
But not having restore points scares me. Has anyone got any ideas about this problem? Please reply in "idiot-non-techie speak" if you can help me. Thank you.

harps1h 12:06 10 Nov 09

did you check if your volume shadow copy is switched on? you find it in your services. this is the reason it mostly does not create restore points.

provider 2 12:22 10 Nov 09

Troubleshooting System Restore: click here;en-us;302796

provider 2 12:24 10 Nov 09

Oops. Try this one: click here;en-us;302796

provider 2 12:27 10 Nov 09

TinyURL, perhaps? click here

lynwill53 09:39 19 Nov 09

Thank you both for your suggestions. I had a little go at what you suggested P2, but what turned up on screen looked a bit too advanced for me, and I didn't want to cause more trouble than I've already got!
I think I will hand it over to the repair man. Thanks again, Lynne.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…