Laptop not connecting to router

TheKid31 10:16 16 Dec 07

I am so glad for finding this site. I am a newbie here and I could not figure it out in FAQ or other threads. Don't worry though, I am fairly adept at explaining and following instructions (to the limits of my computer knowledge which is average) So...

I have a Dell laptop with a Wireless WLAN mini-card (over 1 year now). For about 2 weeks, my wifi will not connect to my D-Link router, though I can connect to other people's bandwith (the ones that are not secured). When I go to my site monitor, it shows that I have huge bandwith available coming from my router but when I connect to it it doesn't work and reconnects to someone else's (who's bandwidth sucks). I have troubleshot to no avail. My desktop works, and my roommate's desktop with wifi receiver works, my wife's laptop worked until she got rid of it, only my laptop doesn't. Also, the person who set this up for me doesn't speak English and cannot come here to help.

Here are my stats for that network as shown on the site monitor (I know little what these mean):

Standard...802.11b & 802.11g
Channel: 6
Data Encryption: None

Here is my config for that network:

Ad Hoc (not checked)
Network Authentication: Open

I have tried to check the Ad Hoc box and set the channel to 6 but that does not resolve the problem.

Can anybody give me some troubleshooting tips? I am sure you will need to ask me a little more to help me. This is my first laptop (1 year now), I have always had desktops before.

Also, after I fix it, can I make it more secure? I notice that almost all of the other networks are locked in my area (about 15 or so) and mine is not. How do I set it up so that only my household can access the network. Also, am I vulnerable if it is not encrypted/secure?

Thank you so much if you can help. I will try to keep my next responses much shorter and to the point.

ambra4 11:33 16 Dec 07

Setting Up The Wireless System in the Router

It is strongly recommended by All router suppliers that you use a physically connected cable to the Router via a Ethernet RJ45 cable for router setup.

Using a wireless connected computer for setup is Not recommended to access router setup at any time.

Access the router and click the Wireless section in the router setting

Change the setting from Ad Hoc to Infrastructure

You have to set-up the Wireless Network Name the SSID address on the router first

By default some wireless router come set-up with the manufacture name as the SSID address 3Com, Linksys, Belkin etc,

You should change the SSID address to a name you want to give your Wireless Network, 452john06 / ezyclip01 etc which would allow you to easily identify your network

You should also change the Wireless Channel # the default is normally Channel 11 which most persons uses so change it to 6 / 8 this will save you having interferences and low signal quality from other network close by using channel 11

Write it down; or save on a flash drive as the same SSID name and Channel # and Security Code must be used on All wireless device when setting then up to access your wireless system

Do not set-up the security system as yet

Save the setting and log out of router, make sure that you can access the router vie the wireless device and browse the Internet first, if you get it wrong the router will not allow the wireless device to connect to the wireless system or allow access to the Internet

Laptop Wireless Device Setting

Most laptop computer these days comes with a building wireless card; some required you to switch on the Wireless Radio Antenna via a small slide switch on the laptop

Or using the FN (Function) key you have to hold down the FN key and press the key with a small antenna icon to turn on the wireless card

You can also check that the wireless card is Enable from inside the Network Connection Area

Start-Setting-Network Connection-Right click-Wireless Area Connection-Enable or Disable as required

Some times you have to Disable and Enable before the card will connect to the wireless system

If not sure if laptop have a antenna switch check the manual PC layout quick guide

Check out these sites before you set-up the wireless system could save you a lot of time and headache.

click here

click here

Setting Up The Wireless Security System

Check out these sites before you set-up the Wireless Security System

click here

click here

click here

Question said by first time user of Wireless

The PC hard wire to the router does not have to be on for the wireless system to work

Once the router is on all wireless devices should have local and Internet access

With a hard wire system the LAN card connect speed at 100Mbps, the wireless system connect speed at 0Mbps -54Mbps depending on the distance, amount and thickness of walls, quality of signal etc

You cannot see the wireless system from a hard wire PC only the Local Area Network Connection

You should not have both the LAN and Wireless on the same PC connect at the same time.

As this can causes conflict within the router

If you buy one of the new 108Mbps wireless router you must buy a 108Mbps pci card or a 108Mbps USB Adapter for each wireless device you want to connect at that speed.

The normal connect speed on a laptop build in wireless card or USB adapter is 54Mbps on older laptops with build in wireless cards the connect speed is 11Mbps

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now