Laptop not booting up

Mjones68 09:10 20 Apr 06

I hope that someone can help me with a very frustrating and now worrying problem. My computer’s started to have problems booting up. It’s a Dell Inspiron 8500 laptop (3 yrs old), 2.4Mhz Pentium 4m running Windows XP Pro. What now normally happens after switching on (it still boots up OK on the odd day) is that prior to going into the Windows XP screen, it freezes. What’s really weird is if I hit F2 prior to it freezing, it takes me into the setup page and then after I hit the ESC key, it then carry’s on normally and boots up OK. I’ve not installed any new software recently and I run Norton 2006 updates/Scans weekly in addition to running a Lavasoft Ad-Aware spy scan weekly. Also I’ve found that Outlook 2002, Word 2002 and Internet Explorer have also started crashing very regularly and I’m worried that my machine might be about to die. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks very much in advance

rmcqua 09:31 20 Apr 06

It sounds like there may be a problem with one or more system files. Try start > run > sfc /scannow. (Note the space between sfc and the forward slash). This will scan all protected files and verify their integrity, replacing any files with which it finds a problem.

Mjones68 12:50 20 Apr 06

Hi I originally asked the question. Thanks for the reply rmcqua. I've never heard of anything so simple. I did as you advised, it took about 20 minutes, however when I returned to my machine there was no information on replacing any damaged files etc, the machine was just sitting idle. I rebooted, which didn't work the first time, but did on the second attempt (hmmm!!!)but I'll just have to see if it's a bit more reliable from now on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…