Laptop no sound! what have I turned off?!!

six-h 22:30 22 Mar 09

trying to get to know this laptop, and was exploring what Isuspect are the sound card controlers which appear in "All Programmes" under the heading "Advance Sound Manager".
There are two sub headings, "AvRack", and "SoundMan".
Avrack opens some kind of Audio player called "RtlRack", and also has several "sound themes" that alter the windows sounds.
Having tired of that, I turned my attention (ill advisedly!) to "SoundMan", clicking on that invoked the "Eggtimer" for a second or so, though nothing appeared to happen.
It was only then that I found I had no sound.
I've checked "Advanced Volume Control" and nothing is muted!
How do I get my sound back?
Also,can anyone instruct me on these two pieces of software?
Silently waiting! lol

Stuartli 23:08 22 Mar 09

Have you checked (from Control Panel) the Sounds and Audio Devices Properties?

Sometimes on the Volume tab the Mute box has been inadvertently ticked.

You should also check out the Audio and Voice tabs and ensure that the Default Audio Device is the Default as mecessary.

This could be AC '97 on-board sound (most likely Realtek or C-Media) or a sound card.

Grey Goo 23:09 22 Mar 09

Perhaps if you return to the utility and have a look round you may discover that you have turned the speakers off or similar. Maybe you can turn them back on.

six-h 23:30 22 Mar 09

Thanks Stuartli and Grey Goo,
I'm encouraged by the fact that I too thought of checking those things.
I must be learning something from reading the responses that you guys make!!

Unfortunately, all those settings seemed OK.
It was only when I stumbled across the "Sound Manager" screen, that I found I had inadvertently ticked a box labeled "Voice Cancellation", something to do with Karaoke I believe!

I think it's because I'm not used to using a touch pad, they can be infuriatingly un-responsive at times, and too sensitive at others! lol
Thanks againfor your help.
This was the cause of my problem

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant