laptop no power

okcoky 22:52 27 May 06

hi i wonder is anyone familier with laptops.I have seen a secound hand one for sale but it does not start up the guy said.The power light comes on buts thats it.I have built a couple of pcs myself so unless it is a major or very expensive problem then i will try and do it myself.Any ideas guys?P.S. its a sony viao

Totally-braindead 22:57 27 May 06

It could be almost anything. I don't see how anyone can advise on this. Laptops are completly different to desktops, they can be differcult to repair and the parts have to be the ones made by the company, they are not interchangable, so in your case and bits you needed would have to be sony ones.

okcoky 23:00 27 May 06

yeah its a tricky one isnt it lol

Taff™ 23:11 27 May 06

It could be the Motherboard Power Module. Although the light is on It`s not charging the battery or the laptop. Very difficult to say without expert diagnosis. If the seller was prepare to have it diagnosed you might be better informed. A diagnosis would probably only cost £25 but without it I wouldn`t even think of offering anything for it.

With Dell offering a basic 14" widescreen laptop, wireless enabled with 512Mb RAM, 40 Gb HDD and a DVD Rewriter for about £350 it`s difficult to justify a repair bill for a second hand machine.

Strawballs 23:13 27 May 06

can you plug it into a monitor to see if it is the backlight on the screen

okcoky 22:51 28 May 06

thanks guys for all your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…