laptop network detection prob.

jstaunton 22:54 05 Dec 03

my daughter has a laptop that she uses at uni. on the internet, it is configured for use there. with xp i think i should be able to plug in my cable at home and it should work but it does'nt. i have registered the mac adrs with blueyonder and i have tried to delete all previous settings ( she is not using it at uni anymore so i dont need their settings) but it still wont work any ideas. where i am going wrong.

recap 08:58 06 Dec 03

Ignore the Uni settings and set it up for your network environment as if there are no other setting there. The Uni setting can remain as you will not need them. Just remember that when you log in to log in to the correct domain.

jstaunton 14:45 06 Dec 03

sorry i am not with you, it seems to be showing wrong ip adrs.

recap 14:51 06 Dec 03

You can have a number of networks set up on a computer, as long as you log into the correct one for the one you want access to.

When you say it is showing up the wrong IP address, what is?

Could you post your network settings with all IP settings?

jstaunton 15:31 06 Dec 03

just had a windows error message that says nt on access scan error?
also internet explorer says provided by resnet?
in network connections it say lan, but i cant get onto the internet in exp. says server not found.can i delete and start again from add hardware or something

recap 15:41 06 Dec 03

Yeah, delete all settings that you have just input for your home network. By reading your first posting I take it that your PC is XP. If this is the case disable the firewall first then follow the network wizard to create your network.

click here or click here these may help, but if you get stuck post back.

jstaunton 15:53 06 Dec 03

before i try that i have just realised there may be something else wrong with the laptop system. i have clicked on network places and nothing comes up except an error message to send to microsoft and when i click network connections, it extends to local area connection with a red cross thru it, but it wont let me make anew connection

jstaunton 15:56 06 Dec 03

just done the click bit, its not i beleive home network dont want both computers on at the same time. i will unplug my broadband connection from the desktop computer and plug into the laptop. sorry i am such a pain. i just need to update the laptop.

hellred 17:45 06 Dec 03

All you have to do is open IE go to tools options and on the connections tab and click on setup, enter your log on details like user name and password and thats it. Of course we all assume this is an external modem you are using like USB and it is connected to the laptop. If it is internal on the desktop you cant simply plug in the tel cable and expect it to work!!!

recap 20:16 06 Dec 03

Re-reading this am I reading it right?

Are you trying to set up a network between laptop and PC?

or

Just connecting the laptop to your Broadband connection?

If it is the network, what type of cable are you using. This should be a crossover cable.

If it's the BB connection then install the software on the laptop for your BB's modem.

jstaunton 22:03 06 Dec 03

its a bb cable modem, no dial up,.
it seems the laptop has untold problems all round, my daughter has just ignored every message for 12 months. i have just copied all her docs, to cd, tested them on my computer all ok. and i think i will put in the restore disk (to factory settings). uni were using an internal network and netscape and the settings just wont update. further more nothing will load without a window error notice.
do you think restore disk good idea.
if its not one computer its another!!!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…