laptop as network bridge?

mamadillo 13:25 30 Dec 05

I'd like to be able to use my laptop as a network bridge but when I try to put the wireless connection in a bridge, I lose the connection to my router, even when bridging is enabled. It's a Belkin cable-modem router, I can twiddle with the settings but if someone knows what to twiddle with and to it might save me a lot of time in trial-and-error ;-)

Thanks for any input.

mgmcc 18:02 30 Dec 05

When you bridge the network adapters, the "bridge" rather than the individual connections, should acquire an IP address from the router and continue to be connected.

mamadillo 03:11 31 Dec 05

It isn't doing. And when I try to set it manually it doesn't want to know either. Should it be the same IP address as the laptop itself or a different one for the bridge?

mgmcc 08:07 31 Dec 05

My "Local Area Connection" had 192.168.11.3 and my "Wireless Network Connection" had 192.168.11.4

When I bridged the two connections, the router allocated 192.168.11.5 to the "bridge" and the adapters themselves no longer had individual IP addresses.

mamadillo 12:09 31 Dec 05

It's moot now, we bought a long cat5 cable and made holes in the wall instead, lol.

I'm puzzled though, how would the router assign an IP address to the LAN when it's not actually connected to the router until the bridge is in place? Do I assign that myself?

mgmcc 13:19 31 Dec 05

<<< how would the router assign an IP address to the LAN when it's not actually connected to the router until the bridge is in place? >>>

My ethernet adapter *was* connected to the router when I bridged the "wired" and "wireless" connections in the PC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…