Laptop needs new internal DVD drive

DJ-Garry 13:06 09 Apr 09

Hi guys ...

I have an Acer Aspire 9309WSMi Laptop and I think the DVD drive is up the swanny ....

It seems to play and read most things ok, but seems to be getting fussier over blank lower branded disks ... esp blank DVD's. I did a laser clean and it improved a little but still won't see a blank DVD. It will read and play a pre recorded DVD, as it will a CD. It writes to blank CD without too much of a problem, maybe a few errors on some audio discs. ......

Anyway ......

Me thinks it's time for a new drive ..... but I can't make out which type the machine supports, IDE, SATA etc.......
In device manager it says it's a:

Slimtype DVDRW SSM-8515S ATA Device

I was concidering one of these three:

click here
click here
click here
click here
click here
click here

I like the idea of the last one being a slot loader, even tho it's a lot more expensive ... but I'm more looking for robustness and durablilty.

Any ideas guys ?????

Fingees 14:53 09 Apr 09

It may well just need the head cleaning.

You can buy a cleaning disk from most computer shops, or even Sainsbury's.

It's worth a try.

DJ-Garry 15:38 09 Apr 09

As I said in my first post ... tried that one !!!

DJ-Garry 22:59 09 Apr 09

bump

woodchip 23:12 09 Apr 09

Slot Loader is more likely to get muck in it if you carry it about in a bag

mooly 08:16 10 Apr 09

Did you clean the lens manually or rely on a cleaning disc ? Very very gently try a teased out cotton bud slightly moistened (not wet) with clean water. Polish gently with the dry end.. teased out. Shine a torch on it and make sure it looks really clean.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…