Laptop Motherboard

griffo 09:54 06 Feb 07

A colleague has an Acer Aspire 5020, on which the MB has just died. Is it feasible to replace a MB in a laptop?

Diemmess 10:14 06 Feb 07

Just guessing......... NO

Of course it is possible, but the mind boggles.
The replacement motherboard may only fit if it is an exact replacement, a snag which is not unknown in the relatively spacious areas of of some big name desktop PCs.

I would think that a direct through Acer repair is the only feasible way at what cost?

I hope I'm wrong!

Totally-braindead 11:10 06 Feb 07

The only possability I can see is a direct replacement. Where you would find a board for an Acer Aspire 5020 I don't know but thats what you would need. I don't think any other board would fit but I could be wrong.
I've only had a laptop completely apart once and it took me three days to put it back together again. Of course if I did this sort of thing all the time it wouldn't have taken so long but its not as easy as a desktop.

Kate B 11:16 06 Feb 07

I wouldn't even try, to be honest. I've replaced a motherboard in a PC and that was fiddly enough, even with plenty of help and extra pairs of hands.

Totally-braindead 11:22 06 Feb 07

I perhaps should have said I've built perhaps 20 desktop PCs as well as upgraded and repaired dozens more but I would not willingly strip and rebuild a laptop again.
You may well find the cost of the new board plus labour if you get it done by someone else is equivalent to the price of a new laptop.

griffo 16:14 09 Feb 07

thanks for the replies, this has confirmed what we feared. A new machine has been purchased.

cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…