Laptop Monitor Very Dark

MaxUpload 13:19 02 Apr 09

Strange thing happened on starting up a laptop today.

The monitor is very dark,in fact you have to be in a dark place to even see what is on the screen.

MaxUpload 13:22 02 Apr 09

Sorry I'll try again!

Strange thing happened on starting up a laptop today.

The monitor is very dark,in fact you have to be in a dark place to even see what is on the screen.

However when you press the button operated by closing the lid the screen comes back to normal for about two or three seconds and then goes dark again.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

mooly 13:23 02 Apr 09

Can you see the image if you shine a torch on it. Backlight trouble is usually the most common problem.

mooly 13:27 02 Apr 09

Posted together ! doesn't perhaps sound quite like it. Pressing fn and F6 toggles the backlight on/off (On mine anyway). Nothing weird like set for no time delay before it turns the display off to save power.

Graphicool1 13:56 02 Apr 09

Does it make any difference if you start on battery or mains?

My wifes laptop displays much darker on a battery, even when it's got a full charge.

kalignorgna 13:57 02 Apr 09

look for a key with a sun and an up arrow then hold down the FN key and press the button with the sun and up arrow it. vola the screen will brighten

mooly 19:20 02 Apr 09

The darkening screen. I think that's set in the BIOS to reduce power consumption on battery.

MAT ALAN 19:29 02 Apr 09

You could have an inverter or backlight issue if your lappy is still under warranty it is a simple repair

click here

the link explains more...

If it is not covered by warranty your nearest highstreet computer store shoyuld be able to fix it for you...

Could also be you have it set for external display instead of Screen.

If you have an external monitor then attach it, press the keys to switch display (Fn+ one of the F keys with screen symbol) you may find you can switch back to laptop screen with these keys but at least it will tell if rest of laptop is working OK.

MaxUpload 13:50 03 Apr 09

Thanks for all your help.

Got the local repair shop to look at it and indeed as MAT ALAN suggested it has been diagnosed as the inverter.

It's in for repair!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…