Laptop Monitor Problems

Stuart Leyland 17:53 13 Nov 03

Hi :)

I am attempting to get an old Fujitsu LifeBook 765Tx laptop to work for my uncle. When my Uncle got the laptop, it did not have a transformer, so after receiving one from Fujitsu's company, I plugged it in and started up the laptop by first moving the switch to on and then pressing the button below the monitor to boot up the laptop.

I expected the laptop to then show some sign of life, which it partially did. The CD drive could be heard spinning and the machine obviously started up, but there was nothing on the screen and no motherboard beeps (although I am not sure whether this is to be expected on laptops).

Am I doing something wrong for the monitor not to work or is there something wrong with the laptop?

Thanks a lot in advance for any answers :)

Diodorus Siculus 18:16 13 Nov 03

Probably a problem with the display; have you tried to plug in an external monitor?

Stuart Leyland 18:17 13 Nov 03

Hi Diodorus Siculus,

From what I can tell of the laptop, there is no way to plug in an external monitor :(

Thanks for your reply though.

fred 18:28 13 Nov 03

There is often a key combination to toggle between the LCD and external displays. On Toshiba machines it is function + f5 On Samsung ones (mone at least) it is function + f3. There may be a sequence of several screen options available.

Stuart Leyland 18:30 13 Nov 03

Hiya fred.

Have just found out that it's function and F10 but still no joy :(

Really got me baffled this one :(

Thanks guys.

fred 18:41 13 Nov 03

It is well worth trying function +f10 repeatedly giving the machine up to 10 sec or so between repeats. I could never remember the sequence for the Toshiba and it sometimes took six or seven tries.

Stuart Leyland 18:46 13 Nov 03

Have just managed to find where I plug the external monitor into! But to no avail :o( Will have to try what you suggest and see if we get anywhere.

Cheers mate :o)

fred 21:31 15 Nov 03

This may be a silly question but....

Are you certain that the laptop has a functioning O/S? It may be worth trying to boot from a 98 boot floppy. You should then get a stable output to give you time to try the various display optiond.

porci 21:34 15 Nov 03

Do you have an option on the 'f' function keys to take it out of hibernation mode? It could be it was left in that mode when last powered down.On the IBM its fn+F7

Stuart Leyland 12:29 16 Nov 03

Hi again guys.

fred, there's no floppy disk drive with the laptop so I'm unable to try that :(

poci, as far as I can see, there is no option on any key to either put the laptop into hibernation or take it out of hibernation. A quick search on Google also yielded no answers.

I've just had the laptop in pieces and as far as I can see, there is no lead out of place at all and the only two things I can think of are:

1. Dead motherboard

2. Some setting is confusing the BIOS

If it is number two then a simple reset of the CMOS battery or jumpers would solve that problem but I am unable to locate the jumpers and the battery seems as though it is not menat to be moved :(

Any more ideas would be very much welcomed :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…