//some 3rd party need geo

Laptop Modem dial tones corrupt

Frank-P 16:05 22 Jan 05

I have been asked to help resolve a problem on a HiGrade laptop running XP Home with SP2 with a SmartLink 56K internal modem. This used to function fine with a pay as you go dial-up account from Tiscali, but has ceased to connect. When it dials out, instead of the usual phone tones, it sounds like a very muffled attempt at handshaking noise, but the length of the sound suggests it is the phone number, as it does not continue for very long and is broken up in the same way as a phone number. There is a later driver version than the one installed available, but as it funtioned perfectly before, I am at a loss to understand what has happened. Can anyone provide any suggestions please?

LeadingMNMs 16:46 22 Jan 05

I would update the drivers anyway, since they should offer some improvement.

Also check the settings with the ISP to ensure that they are correct.

dave.engsurv 16:58 22 Jan 05

What firewall and anti virus are you using?
My computer using XP home (OEM) and SP2 and the same modem was effected in the same way by McAfee Internet Security 2004 and by the standalone McAfee antivirus 2005. When I returned to Norton IS 2004 my system works OK! I just had to spend several hours with Norton liveupdate!

wiz-king 18:07 22 Jan 05

Have you checked that it has not been altered to 'pulse dial' in modem properties? Somewhere you should have the choice of pulse or tone dialing. Normaly you need tone.

Frank-P 17:57 23 Jan 05

Thanks all. I intend to update driver, as quite rightly, it is best practice, but i also wanted to understand WHY it had ceased to work. Firewall is Windows XP + SP2, with Norton AV! I have n't lloked at Pulse / Tone setting - good idea!.

I wont get to see the laptop itself until next weekend, so fingers crossed!

Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…