Laptop microphone trouble

pegangray 20:04 28 Dec 07

I have an Asus laptop running Vista Home premium and I want to record conversations through a microphone 3.5 mm input or a USB mic. I have tried both but so far I cannot get any sound to record clearly in or out. Does anyone have the instructions to set up a microphone to work with Vista? I have a Logitec USB Microphone and a Sony stereo mic with a 3.5 jack I have failed to get either working. ANY HELP gratefully accepted!

All the best

Graham
pegangray

Technotiger 20:08 28 Dec 07

Have a look in Control panel Sounds and check that mic is not muted.

pegangray 21:55 28 Dec 07

Checked mic is not muted and I have got it working very softly but I am not able to increase volume

Technotiger 22:01 28 Dec 07

Silly question I suppose, but you have checked your Volume control is fully up? In Control panel>Sounds make sure you have ticked 'Place Volume icon in Task bar' then check Volume Control.

pegangray 22:48 28 Dec 07

Oh to have XP instead of Flipping Vists I had a look on my desktop and i could do all you sugest easily but not with Vista. I am seriously thinking of getting a copy of XP Pro and installing it! Volume adjustment is non existent as far as the sort I need. I give up, unless there is a fairy God father who knows the answer.

Technotiger 23:09 28 Dec 07

Vista allows you to choose the right volume for any running application. It's also very easy to use. Right-click the speaker icon in the notification area (systray) of your desktop, then click Volume Mixer to open the control. You'll see a list of programs running. Then, just use the slider bar to adjust the volume up or down,"

Technotiger 23:12 28 Dec 07
  Quiet Life 23:24 28 Dec 07

I had trouble as well but applying the microphone boost made a big difference
Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Sound -> Recording -> Microphone -> Properties -> Custom -> Microphone +20dB Boost

I reverted to XP as I found Vista too much agrvation and XP did everything I wanted with no problems

woodchip 23:34 28 Dec 07

As you are using a Laptop Check by pressing fn key plus volume key normally one on the top row, to make sure it is on full

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017