Laptop memory upgrade

six-h 20:13 21 Mar 09

The manual says : -
Two 200 pin DDR SODIMM sockets, supporting DDR SODIMM's (2.5V) - "DDR 266MHz compliant".
Max 2 x 512MB.
Maj kindly advised me that this memory :-click here would suit my laptop.
'cos I'm a cheapskate! will this :- click here also suit?

MAJ 20:32 21 Mar 09

Yes, it will suit, six-h, but I wouldn't buy memory from anyone other than Crucial, that's why I have no qualms recommending them. What sort of guarantee do Aria give on their memory modules and who is the manufacturer?

six-h 22:39 21 Mar 09

MAJ, thanks for comming back on that, Aria are in my experience a decent company, I bought all the bits for my desktop PC from them but that was all branded stuff
Anything that was incompatible, or chosen by mistake, they gave a full refund - no quibble and they do have a good reputation for service.

Point taken though, it is "Unbranded" and you are at their mercy with only the SOG act to help!

I'll ask them on Monday, see what guarantee they offer.

DieSse 22:59 21 Mar 09

I would stay away from "generic" unbranded RAM personally. On the same website, the Kingston, Corsair or Samsung makes are all first grade.

The Kingston equivalent is only a few pounds more, and will be far superior.

When I built systems I used Kingston wherever possible, as I never had any issues of failures. I have it in my system now - and after several years has performed without any problems. Kingston should come in a sealed Kingston package, with a lifetime warranty slip.

DieSse 23:05 21 Mar 09

PS - there are three grades of RAM. Only use first grade to avoid problems.

First grade RAM should come with tested chips, with full margins, built on circuit boards designed to JDEC standards, with the proper complement of smoothing caps, and built and tested by the same manufacturer.

"Unbranded" or third grade may be deficient in operating margins, testing, board design and assembly methods.

The Arianet modules may be second or third grade - but are unlikely to be first grade. The give-away is in the description.

six-h 23:11 21 Mar 09

DieSse
Yes, after posting, I was browsing and saw that Kingston 512MB PC2700 CL2.5 SO-DIMM, It looked so different, with what looks like 8 RAM chips on the one side. I wasn't sure that it would be compatible with my laptop.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Samsung Galaxy Book review: Hands-on with Samsung’s high-end hybrid

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is probably one of the best bank ads we’ve seen

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple