Laptop memory upgrade.

Hertz Van Rentyl 17:28 09 Apr 06

I have a Sony laptop with 512Mb memory, the official memory upgrade costs £200 plus for 512 Mb, however a Kingston module costs about £53.
Sony make noises about only using their memory modules (how surprising) with veiled threats of dire consequences if non Sony modules are used.
Kingston say their modules are perfectly compatible. I am sure the non Sony modules would be alright and just wondered if anyone has experience of upgrading laptop memory with or without any dire cosequences.

Hertz Van Rentyl 17:29 09 Apr 06

consequences

Diodorus Siculus 17:30 09 Apr 06

I bought a Vaio (dorry, can't remember the model) for a friend just before Christmas and added 512mb RAM from Kingston - there's been no problems with it as far as I know.

Hertz Van Rentyl 17:34 09 Apr 06

Thanks for rapid response

Forum Editor 17:55 09 Apr 06

there's no reason at all why you shouldn't use Kingston compatible modules. In any event, if Kingston have told you their memory is compatible and it isn't, you can return it for a refund - you have nothing to lose.

Hertz Van Rentyl 18:06 09 Apr 06

Expand your VAIO laptop's memory with this 512 MB memory module and run even more applications simultaneously. Sony memory modules are supported by VAIO Link and are made of top quality components. Using other memory modules not manufactured by Sony can damage your VAIO.
Compatible with VAIO VGN-A6, VGN-A5, VGN-A4, VGN-A3, VGN-FS4, VGN-FS3, VGN-S5, VGN-S4, VGN-S3 and VGN-TX series notebooks
Storage capacity: 512 MB
DDR2-SDRAM
PC2-3200
400 Mhz

This is from Sony Style hence my thread.

ed-0 18:14 09 Apr 06

Crucial also sell memory for all the above models, well the ones I checked out. Have you got your model number?
click here
They guarantee the memory will work or will give you your money back.

Hertz Van Rentyl 18:39 09 Apr 06

Thank you all for replies. Are Sony being a bit protectionist or what.

Expat 1 11:59 10 Apr 06

"Are Sony being a bit protectionist or what"

= You bet your life they are.

I have just bought a Sony 256Mb Memory stick and cannot format it in my Samsung camcorder for love nor money, cannot even format in the comp.

Expat1 In spain

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…