Laptop memory missing?

hastelloy 13:36 02 Oct 07
Answered

My wife's laptop had 256MB of memory but this only showed as 190MB. I have just added 1GB so it should now have 1,256 MB but is only showing as 896MB. I replaced the old 256 with the new 1GB and then put the 256 in the 2nd slot. I made sure they were both firmly in place. Anybody have any ideas please.

probably onboard graphics. make and model?

hastelloy 13:59 02 Oct 07

It's a Toshiba Satellite Pro L20. What puzzles me is that originally there were 66 MB (25%) missing and now its 360MB (29%).

if it's shared graphics memory, the more you add the more the graphics will use. 256 is pretty minimal and the operating system will need nearly all of it. so you possibly now have more ram and more video ram, thats my guess anyway.

6th paragraph shows shared video ram click here

hastelloy 14:08 02 Oct 07

I think I understand and it makes sense. I was concerned that there was something wrong with the machine. Anyway its running much faster now than it was so Mission Accomplished!!!

Answer

you can usually turn off/ adjust the settings in bios, i would leave it as it is, should be much faster now

hastelloy 15:34 02 Oct 07

It is much faster - I think I'll leave the BIOS alone as I'm not too sure what I'm doing in there - if it ain't broke I'm not going to meddle with it!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…