Laptop Memory Confusion

richierich888 08:53 20 Feb 08

Hi,

I am trying to buy new memory for my mother in laws laptop. I have run the crucial memory scanner and it wont recognise the computer model.

It does tell me that the computer can take up to 2gb in two slots though.

I have takent he back off to look at what is in there currently. It has a single 256 MB module which says it is a PC2 - 3200S-333-11-CO DDR STD

I took this to mean i would need PC 3200 DDR ram at 333Mhz. But i cant find that anywhere. Not on Kingston or Crucial or ebuyer or pcnextday. HELP!!

I have seen many PC2700 at 333Mhz and PC3200 at 400 MHz. Which numbers do i need to match up to get the right memory. Do i also need to buy two modules of the same size to get them to work. My own PC has 512MB and 256MB Modules together and they work fine. Is that becuase i used the crucial scanner to find the right one.

I am thinking the best bet is to use the CPUiz tool to get the information. But i think i will still be confused.

Any advice happily received.

Thanks

Rich

Technotiger 09:06 20 Feb 08

What laptop is it?

Best bet...

run the cpuiz tool,then phone crucial,they will advise you accordingly with info you supply them from cpuiz.

dan** 13:11 20 Feb 08

PC2-4200 FT128MSQ64V5J should work in the laptop as it's backwards compatable and should go to PC2-3200 speed. £18.68 for 1Gig @ click here

"I have takent he back off to look at what is in there currently. It has a single 256 MB module which says it is a PC2 - 3200S-333-11-CO DDR STD"

You will most likely find the other dimm under the keyboard.

richierich888 23:32 21 Feb 08

Thanks for that. I will try the cpuiz on the laptop next time i get a chance.

Its a hi-grade laptop. Not sure what model or where it came from. None of the scanners seem to recgonise it.

woodchip 00:12 22 Feb 08

What you want I think this is it click here

woodchip 00:14 22 Feb 08

Make sure you get the one with same position slot in edge connector

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant