Laptop maintenance - 2 Qs

StephShadow 10:20 19 Feb 04

Hello all. Q 1: I’ve just read the thread from January called “vacuum cleaning a computer!” (which is about cleaning out a tower) and have an additional Q: it is ok to carefully run the vacuum hose over a laptop? I.e. Lightly over the keyboard, touchpad and to clean out the fan vents on the back and underneath? I’ve been doing this and it seems ok but I wanted some reassurance! I live in a tiny dust-magnet home so any other advice appreciated.

Q 2: I use the laptop on mains all the time. I charged the battery to full after purchase and immediately stored it away in a cool drawer. Should I just leave it there and maybe check it once a year/every six months? Should I run it down and then recharge it up at these times?

Thank you in advance.

xania 11:28 19 Feb 04

Q1. Its always a good idea to keep your laptop clean, and closing the lid will, in time, cause the plastic round the hinge to break. For those who use their laptop like a desktop, I usually recommend that the laptop is left open but with a dust cover (any old sheeting will do) over it when not in use. A standard vacuum cleaner is a bit strong - I would prefer to buy one of the battery mini-cleaners for the keyboard. I don't think the inards suffer from dust in the same way as a desktop, but the occasional blast from a compressed air can may be helpful if you notice a general degradation in speed despite having done your defrag.

Q2. Battery maintenance is really a matter of who you last spoke to. My view is that, if you are never going to use your laptop away from home, why bother; if only occasionally and you won't run it for long on the battery, ditto, However, to keep the battery up to speed, I still believe its best to charge it up and run it down from time-to-time. Modern batteries don't (apparently) have a memory, so you don't need to run it down completely. But, who knows. Your method is probably as good as any other...

xania 11:28 19 Feb 04

Q1. Its always a good idea to keep your laptop clean, and closing the lid will, in time, cause the plastic round the hinge to break. For those who use their laptop like a desktop, I usually recommend that the laptop is left open but with a dust cover (any old sheeting will do) over it when not in use. A standard vacuum cleaner is a bit strong - I would prefer to buy one of the battery mini-cleaners for the keyboard. I don't think the inards suffer from dust in the same way as a desktop, but the occasional blast from a compressed air can may be helpful if you notice a general degradation in speed despite having done your defrag.

Q2. Battery maintenance is really a matter of who you last spoke to. My view is that, if you are never going to use your laptop away from home, why bother; if only occasionally and you won't run it for long on the battery, ditto, However, to keep the battery up to speed, I still believe its best to charge it up and run it down from time-to-time. Modern batteries don't (apparently) have a memory, so you don't need to run it down completely. But, who knows. Your method is probably as good as any other...

Belatucadrus 11:44 19 Feb 04
  StephShadow 20:58 19 Feb 04

Very helpful xania and Belatucadrus: thank you! Steph

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…