Laptop losing time and date

bumpkin 18:40 16 Jun 14
Answered

Hi all, I have an old Toshiba Satellite SA60-672 which I wish to give to a child but I think it needs a new CMOS battery. I have no manual for it nor can I find much on Google. Not keen on taking laptops apart willy nilly so any help or links would be appreciated.

woodchip 18:49 16 Jun 14

It may be a Battery that is soldered in place most older ones was, can you see anything under memory flap on bottom of pc it may be a oblong battery

SparkyJack 19:01 16 Jun 14

Here is something that worked for one of us yesterday

Go to Utube.

In the search bar ask the same question

The are many 'how to' movie clips covering most makes/models

bumpkin 20:00 16 Jun 14

Thanks Woodchip but nothing under the flaps which I was hoping for. If it has flaps then why not one for the CMOS battery I ask myself. Looks like a complete strip down and you know what a pain that is.

Had a look Sparky and they all indicate a strip down. I was hoping that someone knew an easier way but thanks for your input anyway.

SparkyJack 08:36 17 Jun 14

I have a Toshiba Portage, a 10 inch lap pie that came my way as 'dead' It's under side is flush except of battery.

Its innards are accessed by lifting off the speaker bezel--tthere are finger nail slots each end. Then keyboard and motherboard simply held in by a few screws and connectors-a simple job with suitable fine Philips driver

The thing tobear. in mind is a lovely Asian lady snapped the thing together in minutes if not seconds. So find a quiet corner,clean uncluttered corner and no distraction' a footy free mind and get crackin

bumpkin 20:46 17 Jun 14

Hi again, looked at various videos so before I embark on a destruction derby I want to be sure that it is the CMOS battery. I entered the time and date this morning and have shut it down and restarted it about 10 times and it is maintaining the settings. I would have thought that a battery either works or does not or is it a rechargeable one in a laptop as it had not been used for 2wks before it required the time and date re-entered. Puzzled by this.

SparkyJack 07:51 18 Jun 14

The settings can go back to default momentarily then return to the local setting I experienced this on a new Win8 machine.

It also occurs on my tablet on booting and because the time comes up large on screen before unlocking is very obvious.

bumpkin 15:30 18 Jun 14

Still OK this morning so I don't know what happened. On at least three occasions when I started it up it would not boot to XP until I had entered the date and time and then press F1 or F2 then it would load.

SparkyJack 15:47 18 Jun 14
Answer

That maybe the answer simply confirming your local setting. Simply watch it.

woodchip 17:03 19 Jun 14

The Laptop or PC will keep time if the mains lead is left connected from the mains adapter

SparkyJack 18:25 19 Jun 14

Woody,

That may well be the case' but several disadvantages and indicators of other issues.

Leaving mains on is afire hazard.

It can also mean if the time goes down on battery,could indicate the battery/charger unit not delivering the optimum.

More checking then.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac