Laptop locked on "Installing update 1 of 1"

Mike_R 17:53 23 Jan 11

It is an Acer Aspire 8930G running Windows 7. When I switched off I got the message "installing update 1 of 1". I left the PC runing for over 30 mins and then switched off. On retarting, the Windows resuming message came on, followed by the installing message.
Do I just leave the laptop switched on and hope that it will eventually sort itself out, or is there a way of getting rid of this update?

GaT7 18:23 23 Jan 11

No, I don't think it's going to sort itself out after such a long period of time. Try a few more reboots & see if that helps.

If no joy, try doing a System Restore (SR) or Startup Repair if you can bring up the System Recovery options. By SR I don't mean a restore to factory settings, but like click here & scroll down to Method Two.

Startup Repair instructions click here.

If those don't work or the options are not available, then you may need to restore it to factory settings. But do this only a LAST RESORT & not before backing up your data to another drive or removable media. G

Mike_R 18:38 23 Jan 11

Thanks. Switched it on and off a couple of times and it cleared itself with message that windows had not shut down properly. Now back in business.

GaT7 18:55 23 Jan 11

Glad to hear.

By the way, do you have restore options & a restore disc if anything goes wrong in the future? G

Mike_R 14:17 24 Jan 11

I have a Vista restore disc and a Windows 7 update disc but hope that I never have to resort to that. I've no files that I would want not to lose. All my personal stuff is on the desktop on an external drive.

onthelimit 15:24 24 Jan 11

It's worth burning some restore discs for the W7 machine as, if all else fails, they will have all the correct drivers for the Acer. The W7 update disc may not have.

Hilary Banks 06:15 21 Oct 11

Thanks for the suggestions.. Will keep them in mind..

iPhone 5 Cases

gengiscant 06:58 21 Oct 11

Why the link to an American online IPad case seller?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac