laptop to LCD TV connection - No widescreen??

woodap 19:45 01 Nov 08

Hi,

Apologies if this has been asked before but I couldn't find it via the forum search.

I have an Acer laptop and a Philips LCD TV. Both have VGA and S-Video sockets. I can succesfully connect the laptop (which has a widescreen display) to the TV (also widescreen), but when I do the laptop shows a 4:3 aspect ratio image stretched to fill the widescreen display, and the TV shows the 4:3 image pillarboxed. I have tried various things within image settings and Graphics card settings within control panel but can't get it to show the 16:9 aspect ratio on the tv which I have on the laptop when it is not connected to the external TV.

Any advice gratefully appreciated.

Cheers.

Adrian

Technotiger 19:54 01 Nov 08

Have you tried adjusting the Screen Resolution?

mlseltzer 17:47 31 Mar 09

I have a similar problem. What I "see" when not connected for projection and when I am connected for projection are different. Did you find a solution? This is a problem for me since my "normal" monitor is 12" and Lightroom shows up funny when projected to the TV (e.g. pop up boxes are too long.......can't click the "done" tab). I saw the two options of 4:3 or 16:9 on the TV (neither help). I need to change how it is displayed on the laptop it seems but after plugged in for projection........but how? Why does this change?

How would I adjust screen resolution on the laptop? Under what?

ambra4 18:27 31 Mar 09

Depending in the size of the screen you will have to adjust the laptop screen resolution to fit the screen

Right click on the Desktop-Properties-Setting

woodap 19:49 01 Apr 09

Hi mlseltzer.

I discovered that although my LCD tv is widescreen (ie 16:9), in PC mode it defaults to 4:3 and this can't be changed.

After connecting the laptop via the S-Video cable (VGA would not work in the same way) I had to change the screen resolution on the laptop and also the settings so that any video played in 4:3 letterbox mode. I can then "zoom" the TV picture to 16:9 to fill the whole screen. Slight deterioration in picture quality but the best I could do.

I've been able to save the settings for both when the laptop is connected and when not which now makes things easy.

Hope that helps....

Adrian.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac