laptop to lcd tv

delantero 11:34 19 Mar 07

I want to connect my laptop to a 32 inch LCD television. What is the best cable for this, where is the best place to get the cable from, and will the result be worth the expense? My laptop is Fujitsu siemens Amilo Pi 153 and has a DVI-I connector. The TV is click here

Any help greatly appreciated.

Stuartli 11:38 19 Mar 07

Presumably a standard DVI cable will do the job.

Judging by my offspring's 32in LCD being used as a monitor (wireless feed from system) the result will be pin sharp text.

De Marcus™ 11:45 19 Mar 07

If I've looked at the correct manual your TV has an analogue pc connection so you'll need a dvi to vga cable or something like click here if you already have a dvi cable.

Ben 216 11:48 19 Mar 07

The specs only say 1 PC input, so I'm guessing (as it is on my LG) that you'll need a standard analogue VGA PC - monitor cable with the 'd-type' connection click here you may well have one lying around or you may be able to disconnect it from your monitor.

You'll also need a DVI to VGA converter click here or click here

If you want one cable to do the lot you can pay a bit more click here

You can get these parts from many places, Maplins, High Street PC stores etc.

Ben 216 11:51 19 Mar 07

I forgot you're using a laptop... don't try disconnecting your screen!

delantero 12:17 19 Mar 07

many thanks for the replies. Found DVI to VGA adapter
that came with laptop so now only need the standard cable I guess. Ben 216- lol... don't worry I wasn't about to take my laptop to bits!!! One of my desk top monitors has a removable cable but I'll probably buy one in any case as this is to use when I visit my mother's house for the easter holidays. Will the e-buyer one you provided the link for do a good job?

Ben 216 00:05 21 Mar 07

The link I provided was to ebuyer's own 'high quality' cable and should do the job fine.

If you want to be sure you get the best results click here for a High Quality Belkin one for £1.50 more.

Often high quality cables don't make much difference unless you're connecting high quality equipment. For example many electrical stores will be happy to sell you a £60 scart cable but if you're connecting a 'Cheap Electronics Co' DVD player to a bog standard TV you'll notice no difference between that and a £2.99 scart cable.

Having said that when you're talking a pound or so difference I'd always go for the better quality product.

delantero 23:35 25 Mar 07

thanks ben 216

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced