Laptop keypad buttonFell Off.

birdface 20:45 24 Mar 09

Just a quicky I hope. keypad letter button fell of my grandaughters newish Laptop.It is only 6-8 months old and is covered by an extended 3 year warranty.I know nothing about laptops so would it be easy to stick the button back on in any way or does it need a new keypad and would this be covered by the warranty.
Will be going to her house in a couple of days to have a look at it.She is also getting some pop-ups which I hope I can fix at the same time.
Any information regarding warranty and repair would be appreciated.She is only 12 years old but having seen her on my computer I would say she tends to hit the keypad letters a bit harder than need be.Whether she does the same on her laptop I don't know.

Taff™ 07:41 25 Mar 09

These are fiddly jobs and depends on how badly damaged it is. If the key has just become dislodged and the scissor arrangement is still on the keyboard you`re in with a chance. Best instruction I`ve ever found are click here Scroll down to the relevant section about re-assembling the keys.

birdface 09:30 25 Mar 09

Hi Taff™ very nice and helpful but looks a bit to complicated for me.I was hoping that it would be covered by the warranty but will have to wait and see.
I will have another look at your click here a bit later but doubt very much if i would be able to do it myself.
Many thanks for your help.

interzone55 09:41 25 Mar 09

From experience laptop keyboards tend not to be covered by the warranty, the supplier will usually put it down to wear & tear.

Replacing the whole keyboard is a fiddly, but relatively simple procedure. The exact method is governed by the make & model of laptop and doing it yourself is likely to invalidate the warranty.

birdface 09:55 25 Mar 09

Hi alan thanks for the input not the answer that I was hoping for but will have to find out how much it will cost to replace,I will need to get the make and model from my daughter.Looks like she will have to return it to Staples where she got it from to have it repaired there.

Taff™ 11:43 25 Mar 09

The first time I did it was a nightmare but having done it a few times now I soon got the hang of it. Post back the make and model and I`ll take a look at it and advise what the options are. I might even have a spare keyboard you could practice on if you like.

birdface 12:03 25 Mar 09

Hi Taff thanks for the extra info.Not sure I would be able to go down that route as they have an extender 3 years warranty with it and like allan14 says it may invalidate the warranty.I do have the details of the laptop on this computer somewhere and if I find it I will post it back on here for you to have a look at.Thanks for taking an interest.

birdface 12:10 25 Mar 09

Just one of those days when something worked out Ok.Found it within 5 minutes. It is a Fujitsu Amilo li 2735 and may be less than 6 months old.Will need to get the details of my daughter.

Taff™ 13:03 25 Mar 09

I think the warranty route is probably the way to go if the key doesn`t simply click back on. I can`t find a service manual for this model at the moment.

birdface 15:04 25 Mar 09

Ok Taff.Thanks for all of your help it was appreciated.

birdface 11:35 26 Mar 09

Hi going to close this now have been having a look around and maybe should have put this in consumerwatch to find out about the warranty bit.Thanks everyone for there help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced