Laptop keeps restarting itself

mh84 18:50 11 Sep 08

I have an Acer laptop which has developed a problem:

When I turn it on it goes through the start up process but when it get to the bit where it displays the desktop, a blue screen with white text flashes on and then laptop restarts itself. Just as the desktop is displayed I also get an error message (with yellow triangle and exclamation mark inside) that says"The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable."

It keeps doing this over and over until I cut the power by holding down the power button or removing the battery!

I dont know if this is a virus of if the hard disk or other component is knackered?

Any ideas on how to fix? It is not an old Laptop (2006 i think so I would like to save it)

baldydave 19:25 11 Sep 08

Hi,
Try starting in safemode by holding down the f8 key on startup.
are you running xp?
If so go to the start icon then control panel then system then the advanced tab then start up and recovery box at the bottom click on settings and untick automatically restart.
This should stop repeated rebooting and give a error code telling you what is wrong.
whilst in safemode go to start icon then click on run when box opens type in chkdsk /r this will check hardrive for errors,there is a space after chkdsk then the /r,it might say windows is using it and will check on reboot click on yes then reboot.
Let us know what happens

baldydave 19:27 11 Sep 08

xp or vista?

mh84 19:42 11 Sep 08

Im using XP.

Thanks for your suggestions...which I tried but unsuccessful!

Cant get into control panel, restarts even before desktop icons or start button load up.

Cant get into safemode either just get a black screen with white lines of text, looks like a location with a list of .sys files in WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS. Freezes on this page.

cant do anything with it...bit stuck

Thanks again for you help..hope you can add to it with this further info!

baldydave 19:46 11 Sep 08

try this
Boot to the command prompt (tap F8 whilebooting to get menu)
and type:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

Press Enter and follow the on-screen prompts to restore to an earlier date/time

baldydave 19:47 11 Sep 08

Before doing this boot f8 and choose last known config to work

mh84 20:22 11 Sep 08

Thanks...I think ive sorted it...managed to get the back up dvd to run...fingers crossed it will work...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…