Laptop keeps crashing

Qui-gon 15:41 16 Dec 03

Can someone help?
I have a Sony Vaio laptop, but when I access the internet via an AOL dial-up, a small box pops up on the system with a timer counting down from 60 seconds informing me that the pc is going to reboot. Some kinda NT/system problem.

I have no idea why it does this, as sometimes it works fine w/out a problem.

Anyone got an ideas?

Diodorus Siculus 15:59 16 Dec 03

Sounds like the Blaster virus if you have WinXP / 2k.

click here

matt5705 16:33 16 Dec 03

i have aol and the blaster virus shuts ur machine down not reboot it might be a modem problem i would ring up aol free surport!

VoG II 16:36 16 Dec 03

First Start, Run and type

shutdown -a

and click OK. This will give you more time.

Next, get the MS Patch. Without it you'll be reinfected every time you connect: click here

Then run either Stinger click here or the Norton removal tool click here

keith-236785 16:57 16 Dec 03

i would go with the good advice from Diodorus Siculus, as it does sound like ~Blaster~.

once you have downloded the Fix, disconnect from the internet to stop from getting re-infected (took me four hours of trying to work that one out).

then install and run the fix.

once done, Vog's advice is next mate, follow both of them and you should get it sorted.

good luck

Qui-gon 09:37 17 Dec 03

The thing is that if it disconnects me twice, then if I retry for a 3rd time, It connects every time without a hitch....would it still be the blaster virus?

Jester2K II 09:39 17 Dec 03

Does it happen after you've connected or as you try to connect?

Have you scanned with Stinger? (see VoGs post)

Qui-gon 09:41 17 Dec 03

It happens after I have connected.

Sometimes it happens after 2 mins...sometimes after 5 or more...but it never happs 3 times in a row. Some kind of Remote Procedure message.

Diodorus Siculus 10:29 17 Dec 03

click here
I still think it is the virus.

1. Delete msblast.exe (usually found at c:\windows\system32\msblast.exe).

2. Delete the Windows Registry key: "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\windows auto update" containing "msblast.exe". This is what causes the virus to start on reboot. To edit the Registry, go to Start->Run and put in "regedit".

Diodorus Siculus 10:34 17 Dec 03

PS To check if you have the virus, do a search on your pc for msblast.exe

Jester2K II 12:14 17 Dec 03

Even that won't confirm it because it doesn't always use the msblast.exe name.

Use Stinger to confirm as per VoGs post - have you done this yet???

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…